is it a giggle or a cry?

This is twice you've posted this same sound wave. Knock it off. Not every problem can be diagnosed over the internet for free of course. Grow up and get your bike looked at professionally if you are in dire need to know. You're flooding these forums with threads that have no purpose being here.

My XR650L is approaching 60,000 actual miles.

All I can say is: Your engine sounds sooooo quiet compared to mine!!

Mine made a similar noise when it was new (back in May 1996). It was the sprag clutch that the starter gears connect to on the flywheel. When I'd hit the starter button, the noise would go away. The noise went away for goods after a couple of years. I can remember my Dad's 1987 VFR700 interceptor making the exact noise for about a year. It too went away.

Well it doesn't sound that much different from mine. other then it sounds like it is idling slower then mine. ( I sure wish I had a tach/dwell meter)

I will try listening to my engine up close and personal. Give me a day and ill get back to ya.

Short of being in person, My assesment would be this:

Unless you have experienced a major change in performance or VERY noticeable noise that isn't taken care of by oil change, Then I would'nt worry about it.

The old addage goes "if it looks like a duck, smells like a duck, quacks like a duck then it is probably a duck". IE if you notice something wrong as listed above then the obvious conclusion would be that your bike has a problem.

You certianly will not get the quality assesment here that you need if you are truly experiencing a problem that is subtle enough that it only can be "heard" at idle.

Oh and another thing Go watch a movie, Take a motorcycle ride, read a book, Have sex, go for a walk, Take a nap, Call you Grandmother, do __fill in the blank___ all before you post again.

Take it easy your bike is fine go enjoy it.

Later

Rob :banghead:

why cant you people just tell me if it sounds ok or not?

Hmm... here is one of those unspoken "rules" of forums that I will enlighten you about:

give quality responses, get quality responses.

if you go just whoring up every thread you can find, what kind of responses do you think will come your way?