Problem Chunking tires

Does anyone else have a problem chunking tires. My 426 has gone through 2 rear tires in 3 months. A Perelli M32 and a Michelin S12. I really liked the S12 but They cost to much to replace every month or two. Does any one have any advice. :banghead:

Oh man, another tire thread. Im sure everybody here will have the perfect tire for you :banghead: I personally have had a lot of luck with the bridgestone M602 Its a medium to hard pack terrain tire but I find it works pretty good in just about any terrain. The knobbies on this sucker are even more aggressive than it looks in the pic. I always get 1 season plus on this tire.

M602R.jpg

Get the Maxxis Maxcross IT; intermediate tire that really lasts and works well in everything. It's not the best choice in pure sloppy, mud, but in everything else it's a nice tire. I run the Maxxis on the rear and a Dunlop 756 up front. This combo was recommended by a number of people on this site and I have to agree. Don't put the Maxxis up front though, only on the rear. It has held up well on a lot of rocks, hard pack, motocross tracks, and soft trails....just my 2 cents worth.

Don

Maxxis makes a good long lasting tire, but I'm sold on the Dunlop 952's. I raced a grand prix a couple of weeks ago that had grass, mud, hard pack, pavement and gravel in the course, and my tires worked perfectly and didn't show very much wear at all.

It depends alot on what the terrain is like where you ride. I'm running the Pirelli MT32's on the YZ and it they are holding up great but I only ride the YZ on the track. I run the Maxxis IT on the rear of my 650 and it is chunking. But this is after quite a few rides in the rain on very rocky trails. I think I will try the Dunlop 952 next.

Don't put the Maxxis up front though, only on the rear

Why not?

IRC trials tires are good. Also try the IRC M5B, it doesn't hook up great, but it lasts a long time and doesnt chunk, even with a gun-it-and-go rider like me.

Simply put you are using the wrong tire for the terrain and you get premature wear and missing knobs.

If you are in rocky conditions, use a Hard terrain tire like the Maxxis HT (not IT) or 952. For groomed tracks, the IT or 756 dunlops work.

As soon as you take an IT tire to a rock garden, it will wear! I have a IT tire with 2 race seasons at the local tracks and still has 70% tread. I only used it for races, no practice and no rocks. Use the right tire.

Does anyone else have a problem chunking tires. My 426 has gone through 2 rear tires in 3 months. A Perelli M32 and a Michelin S12. I really liked the S12 but They cost to much to replace every month or two. Does any one have any advice. :applause:

S12's will chunk in rocky conditions - Use either H12 or Starcross MH3's they will last a really long long long time :banghead:

I like Kenda K772. Perhaps not the best traction in sand, but predictable and pretty good everywhere else, and initial rides (about 5 hours on the hardest tracks on the tires I know) have resulted in even wear and zero chunking.

Bc61, I haven't personally ran the Maxxis up front (only on the rear with the Dunlop 756 up front), but a number of people on this forum did not like the Maxxis up front. I think they felt it did not have as much bite as the 756 Dunlop. I just took their advice, and I'm very happy with the Maxxis IT on the rear and the Dunlop 756 up front. By the way, I have run a couple times on some rocky nasty trails,( for about 5 hours each day) and haven't had any problems with the Maxxis chunking.

Don