It FINALLY happend--right footpeg!

Ok, I feel like a chump because I've read about this problem many times, know about the critter fix, etc. I went riding this past weekend in Kalkaska, MI. with four other riders. The single track was excellent, the weather was perfect and we were all riding at the top of our game. While going down a straight away, my right foot just slipped away. I knew instantly what had happened, the bolts for my foot peg just broke! :banghead::applause: THANK GOD I wasn't flying or going in a turn with my weight on it or whatever! I consider myself extremely lucky because I didn't get hurt. The strangest thing is that I stopped about two miles before to check the tightness of the bolts and my kickstarter. Everything on my bike was fine but two of the other bikes had loose kickstarters. The next thing I have to do is get the bolts out (they broke off 1/4"-1/2" in the frame) and get the proper fix. Then I'm contacting some other people who this has happened to and I'm going to try to do something. I know going after Honda is like fighting City Hall but man am I PISSED!!???? Everyone out there should get the fix before it's too late. I'm just lucky I didn't buy the farm because of it.

catfail.jpg

So these footpegs brake without warning I hear, and have been doing so since the 650R was introduced 5 years ago. Surely plenty of riders must have gotten hurt badly because of this.

This is the US of A, the land where you can sue for spilling hot coffee onto yourself.

Why hasn't Honda been sued into bancruptcy over this?

4Takt

So these footpegs brake without warning I hear, and have been doing so since the 650R was introduced 5 years ago. Surely plenty of riders must have gotten hurt badly because of this.

This is the US of A, the land where you can sue for spilling hot coffee onto yourself.

4Takt

God Bless America. :banghead:

...Why hasn't Honda been sued into bancruptcy over this?

I think it's because nobody has lit a fire under Honda to make a fix happen. We can all complain to the dealers as much as we want, but few if any of those complaints make it back to Honda and of the ones that do, some of them may not get to the right person. Calling Honda can 'sometimes' be a terribly discouraging experience depending on who you get on the phone and I doubt the people you talk to at Honda pass along all the complaints to someone who does trend analysis to spot real problems that need attention.

We all (people who have experienced this problem) should have been reporting this issue to the proper government agency that has a system of checks and balances so this issue will get attention and it would force Honda to be accountable, especially since this issue can be life threatening.

'ANYBODY' who has or had the right foot peg issue 'should' report it to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC). The CPSC is the correct agency to report issues concerning dirtbikes and ATV's. Make sure to tell the person at the CPSC that this is a "LIFE THREATENING" issue and you've heard of other people having this SAME PROBLEM.

Here's the phone number to the CPSC: 1-800-638-2772

Here's the link to the CPSC:

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/178.html

The NHTSA is technically the wrong place to report dirt bike issues to, BUT...they do have dirt bike problems recorded in their database and I would highly suggest ALSO filing a complaint with the NHTSA at the following link. This is the *ONLY* way to get Honda to take notice of this issue!

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

U.S. Department of Transportation

National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

Office of Defects Investigation

NVS-210, 400 7th Street, SW

Washington, DC 20590

4Takt

There you go lets just sue our sport into oblivion , and while were at it lets sue hershy for our wives butts getting so big. get real :banghead:

glad to hear you were not hurt, but your problem could have been easily avoided. you know the bolts can come loose from day one,(for with you know by you stopping and tightening them , as you stated) each time you did this might have tightened it a little more(the ol steroid jerk, tighter is better)over stretching the bolt past factory specs. get some factory bolts and some blue locktight and torque them to specs

www.1xinternational.com

thats John Campbell's stuff for sale--includes the footpeg fix!

He's a Honda employee and so i think Honda knows about it! They know about the CRF250X valve failures. American Honda is so poorly managed - down right corrupt - they wont step up and do the right thing. And the mags arent ever going to call them on it....

If it was KTM or Husqvarna it would have been a big deal--but for some reason Honda has its own standard and these things are swept aside.

To me a footpeg that fails so often is a safety issue and its 100% un-excusable for Honda to let it go on for 6 years.

Geared up with the 20lbs of tools I carry, I have to weigh at least 260lbs. I'm 6'5", 230 wet. I think they break for a number of reasons. One, the bolt goes through the frame and threads in at the end so there is over an inch where the threads aren't grabbing the frame. I think the bolt is also significantly smaller than the I.D. of the hole in the frame and lastly, the bolt is a cheapO! Get the fix. I just read about a guy on the YAHOO forum who weighs 145lbs and he snapped his. This problem doesn't discriminate!

I'm 6'2" 275lbs and I have had my 650 on the mx track a bunch and my has not broken even with all the jumping. There doesn't seem to be any reason why some break and some don't. I know I didn't want to take a chance so I got the fix from Kritter.

Glad to gear of no injuries. Are the two bolts snapping off or its the footpeg pot metal failing? If the bolts have failed, can they be replaced with grade 5 bolts as a preventative measure?

I have heard of people upgrading the bolts and still having them break. I think there was one guy on here that had his break 2 or 3 times. I have bent the right footpeg on my 400 twice but never broke it. It doesn't seem to be as much of a problem on the 400 like it is on the 650.

I've never heard of it on the L.

The L and the R are two totally different bikes, in parts and design.

I think your fine.

I think they have the same foot peg system, as the L also has the clearance for the kickstarter which which is not present. :applause:

I would like a redesigned peg mount that places the footpeg in the correct location. Right now when I stand on the pegs, I can feel that they are not spaced evenly. :banghead: