Overheated YZF426. What to look for?

Guys,

YZF426 that sounds like it overheated. Re-filled with coolant but when trying to start it notice coolant on top of the crankcase. Looked like it dripped from the exhaust. Pulled the exhaust and it had a lot of coolant.

Can someone tell me if this motor tends to burn a headgasket before doing damage to other parts? Haven't torn it down yet. Any tips on what to look for?

Thanks for any help.

Lou.

sounds like a blown head gasket.

How did you overheat it in the first place? That may tell you if the head is warped or if it just needs a new gasket.

Also.....drain your engine oil ...probably coolant in there too. Get it out quickly.

sounds like a blown head gasket.

How did you overheat it in the first place? That may tell you if the head is warped or if it just needs a new gasket.

Also.....drain your engine oil ...probably coolant in there too. Get it out quickly.

Just let it run dry a little but not sure how long. It pinged a little. Oil is clean so I guess that's a good sign.

To check the head do you guys just use a straight edge or use a machine shop? I've never done work on a 4-stroke bike before, only cars and 2-stroke MX bikes.

Not even sure if there's enough room to pull the head while in the frame or the engine should be removed first. :banghead:

Appreciate the help.

Lou.