CRF450x vs. WR450f -- Tight Trails Weapon

Hate to bug everyone...but I have a question.

I currently ride a 2005 Honda 250x. I'm 35 years old, 6'1", 210 lbs. The bike serves me well in the tight woods, rocks, small jumps, hillclimbs, etc. It just seems to lack the power I need when things open up.

I'm looking at purchasing a 400+ cc thumper. I miss the extra torque and power that these bikes provide (my last two rides were a XR400 and DRZ400).

I'm currently gathering information on the big WR and CRFs.

Has anyone ridden both? How do they perform in the woods? Which one is better in the woods?

I know both bikes will perform well when things open up...just need to understand which one does better when things tighten up.

Thanks for the help!!!

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Have your heard of a KTM EXC450 ?

I think you may find the KTM EXC models a better tight woods bike. The CRF and WR are great bikes and will carry you through the woods nicely. But, I think they are more designed for more open riding conditions on the west coast.

I went from a WR450 to a EXC450 and the EXC450 is more tractable in tight conditions.

Happy Trails

Your in the same situation I was / am in. I have a 99 yz400 that I have rode everywhere for years. MX, woods, rocks, ice racing, street riding, you name it I have probably tried it. And one thing that i have learned is that I do not like this bike in tight nasty trail.

I now have a CRF250x (after riding several Wr250's) and love it for the tight nasty stuff. But on faster trail I find myself wanting a big bore.

I think it comed down to a comprimise. No one bike is going to do everything for you. You need to make a decision as to what is more important to you and go with a bike that will satisfy that. If you can afford a 2nd bike then that is obviousely the way to go. But as for one bike that will do it all. I dont know if it exist's. Some will be better than others but overall everything is a comprimise.

When I bought my X the kid in my was still screaming MOTORCROSS. But the common sence side of me said "Hey your 36 years old, the MX thing is in your past now" So I finially came to terms with it and got a trail bike. And I am one happy camper that I did.

But I hear that a KTM 300 exc is a great overall bike.

Hate to bug everyone...but I have a question.

I currently ride a 2005 Honda 250x. I'm 35 years old, 6'1", 210 lbs. The bike serves me well in the tight woods, rocks, small jumps, hillclimbs, etc. It just seems to lack the power I need when things open up.

I'm looking at purchasing a 400+ cc thumper. I miss the extra torque and power that these bikes provide (my last two rides were a XR400 and DRZ400).

I'm currently gathering information on the big WR and CRFs.

Has anyone ridden both? How do they perform in the woods? Which one is better in the woods?

I know both bikes will perform well when things open up...just need to understand which one does better when things tighten up.

Thanks for the help!!!

the 05 wr450 beat the 450x in the 05 shootout...the x will be better than it was in 06 but not the maintenence issues in my opinon... :banghead:

Yeah, but once you un-cork the wr, it's the best one out there. Even dirtrider said the same thing when they named the wr "bike of the year"! I agree that indy400, that the exc400 is the best woods bike and dirtrider even gave it that, but the exc and the 450 x equals more wrench time. The wr is best bang for the $ all around. :banghead:

Having not ridden the x i can only go on numerous magazine comparisons.

It seems that (like already stated) you can make a wr faster ( free mods) than a crf, but you can't make a crf handle as good as the wr.

Tight trails are best attacked on a 250(yamaha, ktm or honda), you can hold it flat and it won't wear you out, but having power and not needing to use it, is a real bonus when you come out of the tight stuff.

I used to love carving through past some high power bikes on an xr 250 in tight stuff, but within a hundred yards of getting out, they whizzed past.

the wr 450 will put you in the whizzing past group, and still hold a lot of em out in the tight stuff.

did you ask the same question in the crf forum?, don't forget to factor in bias.

blue is a nicer colour

Having not ridden the x i can only go on numerous magazine comparisons.

It seems that (like already stated) you can make a wr faster ( free mods) than a crf, but you can't make a crf handle as good as the wr.

Tight trails are best attacked on a 250(yamaha, ktm or honda), you can hold it flat and it won't wear you out, but having power and not needing to use it, is a real bonus when you come out of the tight stuff.

I used to love carving through past some high power bikes on an xr 250 in tight stuff, but within a hundred yards of getting out, they whizzed past.

the wr 450 will put you in the whizzing past group, and still hold a lot of em out in the tight stuff.

did you ask the same question in the crf forum?, don't forget to factor in bias.

blue is a nicer colour

I have an 05 WR450 as well, and I like the bike a lot. But, sometimes it is a bit much when it gest really hairy - tight turns up steep, slippery hills. Its hard to control, not just because of power (clutching is a must up that type of terrain), but becase of its height. If you loose momentum, there are places where you just can't put your foot down - the terrain and the height of the bike make that impossible, so down you go. There are times I wish the bike had less suspension, because frankly, I don't use it. I'm not jumping tripples with my WR, and there are very few places I've ran into in the woods where i needed that kind of groud clearance too. I think it'd be a great bike if it was 2 inches lower..... And, for the record, the KTM is just about 2 inches lower.

I have have a 450x and my friend has a 01 wr450f and if we are riding together, my bike always seems to find the right line and has great traction, while his lacks power: traction ratio. And when we stop to rest, you can just push the magic buttom on the 450x, while the wr are a pain in the ass to start after a while of riding... In MY opinion, I would go with the X, and if you dont believe me, talk to all the people that have one!!!

my 2 cents?!?!

I have have a 450x and my friend has a 01 wr450f and if we are riding together, my bike always seems to find the right line and has great traction, while his lacks power: traction ratio. And when we stop to rest, you can just push the magic buttom on the 450x, while the wr are a pain in the ass to start after a while of riding... In MY opinion, I would go with the X, and if you dont believe me, talk to all the people that have one!!!

my 2 cents?!?!

Dude... you know very little about Yamahas...

First of all, the WR450 didn't come out until 2003. Also, in 2003 the WR's all have electric start. You are comparing a new generation 450x with a WR that is two generations old. Hardly a fair comparison.

Jimbo

my 2 cents?!?!

that'd be a different bike there chief, they didn't make the wr450 in '01, that's probably a wr426 that you friend has. very different from a new wr450. my advice would be to go for the WR, but that depends on just what kind of trails you're going to be riding on. i've taken my WR through all kinds of trails and it can be quite a handful in really tight trails. overall though, i've been very happy with the bike.

i always love these WR vs CRFX, EXC, TE,....... questions. first off, you already have a hell of a sweet bike. before you spend seven grand on a new bike, think about a big bore kit. thumper racing can make that thing a 300 and it will be a blast. throw on a better exhaust and you'll be good to go. i'm not sure what part of missouri your in but that may be all the bike you need.

if you have to get a bigger bike, i agree with indy, the exc400 is hard to beat. if you can find one. it's a very smooth bike. don't confuse smooth with slow. it's the bike mike lafferty rides.

The list for best tight woods rides would start with 200-300 cc KTM two strokes and the KDX 220R at the top of the list with the 400 exc KTM close behind. I agree with MTRABLUE that a big bore kitted 250x is sweet. I dearly love my 05WR450, but it's a handful in really tight stuff (and I'm 6'4" and 205 lbs.). The 450's are much more highly tuned and less forgiving than DRZ's and especially XR's. You're not getting the flat torque curves and lots of flywheel that make up your memories of older thumpers. 45 horsepower with very litttle flywheel doesn't work well when you're trying to finesse things (but it sure is a great grin producer when the terrain opens up enough to use 3rd and 4th gears). If you're still choosing between the two Japanese 450's I'd take the WR. It's got a better reputation for durability, and it doesn't hit as hard at low rpm's which seems make it more forgiving.

Farmer Hank

Farmer Hank

Dont be discouraged. The WR isnt to tall (im 5'9")if you set it up right!The power when uncorked is very smooth, traction is extremely important because the power is SICK when modded correctly. Make sure your tires are PERFECTLY matched to the terrain,there is so much roll on power that wheel spin can be nasty. Get the tire to hook up and oh my god, power to spare everywhere.Honestly, how can you go wrong with either bike? The best way to pick the "one" is the only way, ride them both. Somehow. Biased opinions are part of the territory round these parts and finding these bikes at your local riding spot would really solve your delimma. I would let you ride my 02 WR426 and im sure you would LOVE it ( I do) but i havent ridden the honda...Ive riden with them and they are as fast/agile as anyone else. Ktm's have an exotic quality to them and seem really interesting exept finding a dealer for parts and then the price of those parts and the price for aftermarket parts as well. Bottom line....when in doubt, ride 'em out!

ride them all!

My pop just bought a 06 WR450 on my advice. It's his first new bike in 20 years. He's ditching his 86 XR250s. I did tell him these bikes of today take a bit more maintenance and you have to be a little more careful on some things....

He wanted a CRF as he loves honda.

So do I/did I. After the endless threads about maintenance and engine nightmares I told him get the WR and enjoy himself.

He loves it....its a sweet ride.