4 speed/5 speed/or 6 speed, what do u prefer

So I didn't realize that the 05' yzf's had only 4 gears, and the new 06' yzf's are going back to 5, along with the 2-smokes having 6 gears in 06'. I noticed this when I was at the dealer yesterday looking around. Just wondering how people like the lack of the 5th gear on there bikes cause sometimes I almost want a 6th in mine.

So for the 4 gear people, do you ever "run out of gears" or dislike the gear ratios since they are farther spread?

Also I use to have a 125 smoker and it felt like i was always shifting and it was just a 5 speed. Now from what i read the 06' 250/125 smokers are gonna have 6, which to me is fine except that they are kinda close ratios so your gonna shift even more. Seems like gear selection going into a corner is gonna be all that much more important.

let me know what your thinking.

Two-strokes, especially little ones, have such a narrow power range that they have to have a 6 speed.

I run out of gears, sure, but that used to happen when I had a 5 speed, too. With gearing that makes the low gears the same overall ratio, there's a 3 mph theoretical difference in top speed between a YZ426 and a YZ450. All MX bikes are close like that.

What I'd like is the same first 4 gears and a one more on top, spaced the same as the others. With the wide torque curve the 450 has, they don't need to be any closer than that.

It seems like your all on the same page as me, thanks. I don't race, just ride and without the 5th on mine I would be lost. I wish I had a 6th on top of the current five though. Well regardless of howmany I have, i am gonna log off and go ride, so later.

That way the desert/woods guys can be happy with the MX guys.

Te four-speed only works well for motocross, IMO.

As it is, and as I've already said, the ratio spread between the lowest and highest gears in the YZ450 and the YZ426 is almost identical. The 426 has 3 gears in between, and the 450, only two. The gear spacing in a YZ426 is far closer than necessary (IMO, the spacing on my 450 could even be wider). Inasmuch as mine will hit 90 in 4th, I don't think I need much more, except for cruising graded roads at 70 mph.

The desert guys who are using a YZ426 have no major speed advantage over the 450, because the 450 can pull enough extra RPM in high gear to make up for the slight difference in ratios. The only way to get better top speed in either bike without gearing low gear higher is to substitute a WR transmission. In a 450, that gives you a somewhat lower first, the same three ratios (virtually) for 2nd, 3rd, and 4th, plus a fat overdrive on top. For $700, it's the way to go for a desert bike.

What I hope to see is the exact same first 4 gears, or close to that, with 5th spaced above 4th like the gap between the current 3rd and 4th. Then there would be an advantage to it. If it's just going back to the same old too-close ratio 426 box, I'm not interested.

I think it all depends on the gearing & type of riding. My 426 is a 5 speed but in all honesty, I would prefer a 4 speed for both MX & Woods - if properly geared. I like the idea of shifting less. I can't see the need for a 6 speed stroker unless you are running desert or running on long straight-aways...

Once again (and this happens more and more often) I agree with Gray. I leave my bike in 3rd for the majority of the tracks I've ridden, very very seldom needing to shift. I even upped the gearing (dropping 3 teeth on the rear) because the FMF pipe added more bottom end and I could lug it out of corners more. True, I don't race, but I find myself going plenty fast for my tastes!!

I prefer the four gears for riding in the open Fields where your not shifting all the time you're just torquing it through the rpm's. Woods isn't a problem unless it is really tight then you use the clutch a lot I try to use my other bike for that stuff. On a track this thing hauls it rips off of idle, but is a little short lived up top. The four gears have never become a problem. Honestly, I might be slow, but I've found no need for a fifth gear.

As it is, and as I've already said, the ratio spread between the lowest and highest gears in the YZ450 and the YZ426 is almost identical. The 426 has 3 gears in between, and the 450, only two. The gear spacing in a YZ426 is far closer than necessary (IMO, the spacing on my 450 could even be wider). Inasmuch as mine will hit 90 in 4th, I don't think I need much more, except for cruising graded roads at 70 mph.

HEre are the ratios on the 450 4sp:

1 - 27/14 (1.929)

2 - 25/16 (1.563)

3 - 23/18 (1.278)

4 - 21/20 (1.050)

The 426:

1 - 24/13 (1.846)

2 - 23/15 (1.533)

3 - 23/18 (1.278)

4 - 24/22 (1.091)

5 - 20/21 (0.952)

So basically looking at those ratios, you can sum it up as this. The 426 in first gear has a lower ratio, then is close in 4th gear, but then you have the 5th gear that is below a 1:1 ratio effectively making it an overdrive.

Basically just like stated. But on a MX track, you never use 5th unless you are at a place like Honey Lake. 5th makes the bike more versatile to a wider variety of riders (from SX, to MX to offroad)

What I hope to see is the exact same first 4 gears, or close to that, with 5th spaced above 4th like the gap between the current 3rd and 4th. Then there would be an advantage to it. If it's just going back to the same old too-close ratio 426 box, I'm not interested.

Agreed, I really like the 4-speed and going back to closer ratio 5-speed is not what I'm looking for. Just came back from track and I'm fed up with mixing the gears with my pinger, not something an old guy should need to do :applause: At least I'm still quicker than my son ? , but who knows next summer :banghead: ...

Personally, after riding my YZ450 for a full season now (moto, trails, street) I've come up with the dream transmission...keep the current gear ratios as they are but bring back the super low first gear that Blue dropped when they went to the 4 speed and add a TALL sixth gear on top. On the street I miss that 1st gear my 426 had (during takeoff). When I'm trail riding or on the street, I'm always grabbing for another gear.

Now obviously this is completely unrealistic given the current direction of motorcycle development, where motor dimensions and weight must be minimized. However, a motorcycle carrying a transmission like this would be the most versatile machine manufactured. Motocross, trail riding, supermoto...everybody would be happy, especially me.

Cheers