Home made ICAT

G'day guys, i finally got around to making my ICAT, it was a bit dodgy at first but turned out ok, ive installed it and the bike seems to run fine. havnt gone for a real ride yet so unsure of gains.

i have 4 by8424 phillips diodes left (basically all thats in an ICAT), if anyone wants one to try for themselves.

what i did was,

1. unscrew long plug cap from coil wire,

2. strip off rubber from top of boot

3. solder diode to screw

4. solder other end of diode to the inner metal threads of the coil wire

5. slit some fuel line down the middle and push it over the old coil wire and about 1.5cm of the top boot

6. encapsulate the whole thing in epoxy resin.

7. wipe the outside over with automative silicon.

8. heres the dodge bit haha, wrap it all up in electrical tape

seems to be holding up ok

cheers - Brett

dunno, if you look up the patent, i think theres a link from the home page, there are diagrams and literature about it.

heres the link, just click on the images part to see pics

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1&Sect2=HITOFF&d=PALL&p=1&u=/netahtml/srchnum.htm&r=1&f=G&l=50&s1=6070568.WKU.&OS=PN/6070568&RS=PN/6070568

G'Day Bretty, have you got a wiring diagram or pictures. Sounds like my sort of mod (involves both dodjy and tightass factors). If it works I'll make 4 for my race car (400HP FJ20 turbo).

I'm in the same boat.....more time on my hands than money. Please post some pics and instructions :banghead: Or you could make a few and sell them to us :applause:

anthony, you are a fool. do your research, no one said you gain any extra hp. if you have read the literature and previous discussions about the ICAT you would be in a better position to make such comments

What?

So if it makes no performance gains, what's the point?

Does it make the bike expel rose petals and juniper berries from the exhaust pipe instead of harmful emissions?

It's a crock of sh!t according to all the reviews i've read on the 'net.

no sorry Nigel, i sent you one in the mail, im doing a clutch upgrade now, and need to work on my jetting, in all honesty i only did this for the fun of it, better fuel economy is expected and a cleaner burn which would result in a cleaner plug,

do it if you like to try new things, you could always take it out if u want

I bought one from a guy selling them brand new on ebay. I did have it on a 98' wr400 and now I have it on my 98' kx250. I did not notice any performance increases but it did clean up the jetting and the bike did idle much better, also a slight increase in fuel mileage. On my 2 stroke I had better results. Performance wise the throttle responce is a little crisper but that about it. The bike was already jetted very well so I didn't notice anything there either. But the big thing, especially with a 2 stroke, is the fuel mileage increase. I'm getting roughly 7 to 8 miles per gallon better gas mileage than without it. That is a big deal for me because we tend to sway pretty far away from the truck at times.