washing your bike

Do you guys plug the holes in the side panels before you wash your bikes? I plug mine but still get some water on my air filter.

no i havent ever plugged them. Bikes runs fine the next weekend.

I block them off while I'm working around them. Bear in mind, that's not the only air path to the filter. Air (and water) goes under the rear edge of the seat, and up under the seat at the shock mount. As long as it isn't a lot of water, don't worry about it. It will just pass through the filter and the engine when it gets run hard enough, or evaporate before the next ride.

Just take the seat off and put a bag over the filter... and try not to spray water in there.

Just take the seat off and put a bag over the filter... and try not to spray water in there.

I agree!

Take the seat off, put a couple of plastic grocery bags over the entire air filter, plus put a small to medium size towel over the air box, put the seat back on without the bolts, wash the bike, dry it off and you will find that the air filter will remain nice and dry.

I wash my bike normally and install a clean pre oiled filter every ride. If it is during the same race - I will get a new large ziplock bag - same type as I use for preoiled filters - cover the airfilter and no problem. You can also take a paper towel afterwards to adsorb any water that makes it to the surface of the filter as well as the inside of the air box. I have multiple filters that I rotate.

DITTO

Thats alot of work and not really neccesary.

Just block off the airbox vents and muffler with tape if your really concerned.