Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hill5150

Big Mofo Tire (Again)

23 posts in this topic

Apparently my post got launched when they purged the server yesterday, anyhow looking for the biggest, fattest meanest, lightest, rock throwing rear tire for the pig, (not the Terrorflex, have not decided on that one yet) w/ out having fit issues. Running a14/49 now....... :banghead:

I have a 120/100/18 Maxxis MaxxCross IT on my pig and love it. I've tried ALOT of tires and none hold up this well on the pig. It grabs great everywhere and will huck nice rocks at your buddies. Get the 120 though or bigger as the 110 was like a pizza cutter.

Gotta agree with TimBRP. The Maxxcross IP is the bomb! It's made for the desert, stiff sidewalls, huge knobbies.

I have a 120/100/18 Maxxis MaxxCross IT on my pig and love it. I've tried ALOT of tires and none hold up this well on the pig. It grabs great everywhere and will huck nice rocks at your buddies. Get the 120 though or bigger as the 110 was like a pizza cutter.

Sounds good, I have looked into the Maxxis , do they have a larger one than 120 and will it fit :banghead:

I'd say if they do have larger, yah it might fit. But you're going to chew the crap out of the mudguard and exhaust. The 120 is perfect on my bike.

what exactly does the 140 in 140/18 mean? and what does the 5.10 mean?

140 is 140mm cross section (width)

It varies from tire to tire, so...you can't always know that this is the EXACT size.

5.10 is in inches.

Kind of like a 315/76-16 tire vs. a 35/12.50-16.5 (just different ways to say it)

you should be able to fit up the 140/18 rear tire, as well as a 5.10/18 tire

Would that (140) be a super tight fit?

I am looking at a 140/80r18 Metzeler Enduro Sahara 3 for my BRP.

Thanks

Rob

Would that (140) be a super tight fit?

I am looking at a 140/80r18 Metzeler Enduro Sahara 3 for my BRP.

Thanks

Rob

Yes, very tight fit but can be had. I don't see the point in a huge tire though. Just more rotational mass for the pig to churn. Get a tire that hooks(maxxis IT) and just get a 120/100/18. You'll yield the same if not better results and won't have that huge rubber to turn.

are there any good dual purpose tires of that size? ( 120/100/18) Dunlop 's? when it comes time to replace the stock ones I want a more appropriate looking rear tire (size wise) stock one is a bit skinny lookin to me...

TimBrp. Just to clarify, the Maxis IT 120/100/18 fits with no rubbing? Just buy it and run it?

I'm interested but don't want to find out it rubs on the mud flap etc.

thanks

TimBrp. Just to clarify, the Maxis IT 120/100/18 fits with no rubbing? Just buy it and run it?

I'm interested but don't want to find out it rubs on the mud flap etc.

thanks

I am currently running that exact tire and size and don't rub. No modifications were necessary.

Ditto to what these guys said. However, mine does rub the mudguard a tad but doesn't wear down on it.

Same tire, no rub. If it is close, you might be able to add a link in you chain. I have to do this when I run the paddle on mine.

My Maxxis IT 120/100-18 used to rub alot but with my gearing change the rear wheel is farther back and isn't bad now, but don't forget the bike turns slower as you move the rear wheel farther back. I wouldn't go any bigger I tried that on my XR600R it just robbed HP turning the tractor tire.

Not only are bigger tires heavier, they also make the gearing taller. Inch sizes that end in .50 and .10 heights are typically 82% of the width, .60 are 85%. Some brands, (metric sizes), measure width from the sidewall, some from the knobs. :banghead:

Hey! red 4x4 neck. Im running that sahara now on my L. It fit with room to spare. Running 14 48 sprockets chain not a problem. Tire is great on road and off. limitted in mud but I have seen worse.