Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
keitzn

03' 450f flywheel o.z. size & jetting tips..im lost?

13 posts in this topic

hey all i have an 03' yz450f motor in an 89' honda 250r frame. built it from the ground up. im looking to get the best out of my motor.

1. right now im stalling some on tight ATV trails and my front end is always wanting to leave the ground when i crack on it. should i go with a different flywheel?

2. i have a full curtis sparks exhaust and K&N air filter on this bike. should i change the jetting?

3. my current sprocket set up is a 14/38. i think im gonna change to a 14/40 or 13/40. i want more low end to shift on the trials. any ideas?

4. my timing chain has been making alot of niose. should i whitch to the manual chain tensioner? the motor had low hours when i bought it?

remeber all this is an atv....what do you think, im not an expert.

thanks a ton for any help!!!!

nick

14/38? by my calcs thats 17/48+! if thats not a typo than thats your problem :banghead: for the woods with that trannie i'd suggest 13/50 :applause:

Bob, it's a trike....tiny little wheels, etc.

keitzn, you'd get more helpful info for your problem by taking to the YFZ Quad forum.

so if i was to go with maybe a 13/43 do you think that would keep my front wheels from lifting and allow me to shift more on the tight trials

thanks in advance!

nick

Bob, it's a trike....tiny little wheels, etc.

keitzn, you'd get more helpful info for your problem by taking to the YFZ Quad forum.

i'm gettin beat up lately,i need to go ride :lol: my buddy had one of those back in the day,2 smoke with the CR motor;dang thing flew! i ran my foot over trying to ride it like a bike! not a good idea :banghead: that must be crazy with a 03 yz motor on it :applause:

yeah im gonna get the heavier of the two flywheels that gyt-r offers. as for the gearing and gearing it higher. right now ima 14/38. what do you all think i should go to. im tryin to avoid buyin 10 sprockets to get the right combo.

thanks for the help. the quad forum has been no help on this one

So you don't have an immediate solution for his problem of raising the front wheel?

maybe you could put a seat over the front wheel and strap a buddy in it! remembering what that thing was like to ride i'd go with a +12 fw and drop down to a 13t front,might just be the perfect combo for go fast,with no stall in the tight stuff :banghead: imagine a rekluse on one of those :applause:

yeah i was thinking a 13t up front. how about the rear, maybe a 43 or 45. who here has recluse clutches? what are they like

peace

maybe you could put a seat over the front wheel and strap a buddy in it! remembering what that thing was like to ride i'd go with a +12 fw and drop down to a 13t front,might just be the perfect combo for go fast,with no stall in the tight stuff :banghead:
I was thinking switch the 450 for a 250F. I remember a TT'r recalling his old Yamaha 250 trike. He said he used to call it "The Mouse Trap", because every time he'd try a hard climb, the thing would flip over and "snap shut" on him. And that was with the stock engine. I don't see any hope for it with a 450, short of adding 18" of wheelbase.