HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
kehale

6'9" riding a XR650R....bar riser question

15 posts in this topic

Who makes the BIGGEST (and best) one.

I saw a pic of a simple riser that lifted the bars about 2" and appeared to move them forward about 1" or so. I was not able to find the manufacturer.

Does anyone know what this brand is?

Also, I'm probably (in the long run) going to change out the bars/top clamp for something a little more custom that will also integrate a stabilizer , but I'm still a little poor from buying the bike.

Any ideas?

Thanks for any help/advice.

I'm locktighting and lubing everthing before my first outing this next weekend.

-T

PS: Heavier springs...that's next! (249 lb rider)

I too have the tall guy problem but only 6'4". I replaced the bars with one from MSR (I think).

The ones I choose were accually for a Quad but they gave me 5" at the grips now I can stand up strait and not be bent over. It made all the difference in comfort for me.

Another vote for the Thumper Racing bar risers. I'm 6'8" and the 1.5" up and out risers have worked wonders for me. Combine them with some CR High Bend bars and you should have some more room to work with. I didn't have to replace any cables to fit both, just re-routed some cables and it works great.

As for suspension, definitely heavier springs makes a huge difference. I had Rob Barnum redo my suspension and it works like a champ. Huge difference.

If you haven't already, you might also look into some IMS pro pegs. For the larger rider with larger feet, these make the 650R much easier to actually stay on, and much more comfortable for longer rides when your on the pegs for a while.

Those are the ones!

Excellent response.

Thanks so much for your help.

I just want to ride this thing to break it in, but don't want to feel like a gorilla riding a football.

I realize that I probably make it look like a 250, but that's how it's gotta be.

Anyway, thanks again! Good advice on the pegs, too!

-T

I use Renthal bars for the Yamaha Banshee. They have about a 4"" rise, and I can stand up comfortably, without the need for risers. They've also survived many crashes! :-)

The stock cables work fine.

I'm 6'6".

I use Renthal bars for the Yamaha Banshee. They have about a 4"" rise, and I can stand up comfortably, without the need for risers. They've also survived many crashes! :-)

The stock cables work fine.

I'm 6'6".

banshee renthal bars...maybe that's the ticket since I want to do something a little more custom in the future (not spending too much on the simple "pre-gettingthebikealltogehter" mods).

Thanks.

-T

check this out b.jpg

I am 6'4" this is my old set up - I have switched to a GPR under the bar set up now and it about the same hieght as the thumperRacing Risers w/ renthal buttons:thumbsup:

P4111146.jpg

P4111145.jpg

P4111144.jpg

sorry to sound like a complete newbie, but what are buttons?

To be honest, I've been riding streetbikes for the last 18 years or so. I had a tumble (finally) a couple years ago and it started my grand sale (of all the streetbikes).

-T

sorry to sound like a complete newbie, but what are buttons?

To be honest, I've been riding streetbikes for the last 18 years or so. I had a tumble (finally) a couple years ago and it started my grand sale (of all the streetbikes).

-T

He is referring to the Button bars by Renthal. That is the last name of the rider who used them. The highest bar Renthal makes.

I can't find the risers in Thumpertalk's store. What is the Mfg. and the part number?

Ted K.

If you have any plans on using a steering stabilizer you should check out the sub-mount system from BRP. The sub-mount places the stabilizer under the bar mount which is safer, plus for us tall guys (I'm 6'6"), it raises the bars about an additional inch. Check it out at brpit.com

I can't find the risers in Thumpertalk's store. What is the Mfg. and the part number?

Ted K.

You need to call them, it's not in their catalog.

-T

1.5" up and 1" forward.

Ted K.

They are made by Thumper Racing - I dont have the part # they were $89 from Baja Designs. ..........