WR450F (04) radiator guards

today I went out for the first time on my WR450F.

Very impressive :lol: apart from one thing...

I had low speed get-off leaving the bike sliding to a halt after about 15 feet or so :banghead::lol: . Now the XR would just shrug that kinda nonsense off but the Yam didn't fare so well. The left shroud pressed on to the radiator and twisted it into a nice helical pattern (REMEMBER this was a light fall at <20mph!)

On lifting the bike and thumbing the started it became apparent all was not well :applause: My bike had decided to do a fetching impression of a water fountain. At the fwd top edge of the rad. I now had a small tear (and a tear in my eye £££ ) From the tear water was now spurting. Any way by pushing the rad back I closed the tear enough to continue. Now I need to weld the rad or get a new one.

However if it is this delicate I'm not going off road again until I get the bike some protection! SO ... QUESTION...

Which Radiator braces / protectors might you recommend?

A friend of mine has some "FLATLAND" Racing Guards on a CRF and is very impressed with them... What do you lot think?

He previously had Dervol (?) and thought the were CR.... ahem, Not quite what he wanted. So he BINNED THEM!

What are the alternatives?

Are they available in the UK?

My mate imported from the USA and got stung for import tax ... LOL

But If that is the price I need to pay for piece of mind I will import also.

Thanks in advance folks

Rod (more Wobbly than usual today) Oh I also hurt my thumb! :lol:

today I went out for the first time on my WR450F.

Very impressive :lol: apart from one thing...

I had low speed get-off leaving the bike sliding to a halt after about 15 feet or so :banghead::lol: . Now the XR would just shrug that kinda nonsense off but the Yam didn't fare so well. The left shroud pressed on to the radiator and twisted it into a nice helical pattern (REMEMBER this was a light fall at <20mph!)

On lifting the bike and thumbing the started it became apparent all was not well :applause: My bike had decided to do a fetching impression of a water fountain. At the fwd top edge of the rad. I now had a small tear (and a tear in my eye £££ ) From the tear water was now spurting. Any way by pushing the rad back I closed the tear enough to continue. Now I need to weld the rad or get a new one.

However if it is this delicate I'm not going off road again until I get the bike some protection! SO ... QUESTION...

Which Radiator braces / protectors might you recommend?

A friend of mine has some "FLATLAND" Racing Guards on a CRF and is very impressed with them... What do you lot think?

He previously had Dervol (?) and thought the were CR.... ahem, Not quite what he wanted. So he BINNED THEM!

What are the alternatives?

Are they available in the UK?

My mate imported from the USA and got stung for import tax ... LOL

But If that is the price I need to pay for piece of mind I will import also.

Thanks in advance folks

Rod (more Wobbly than usual today) Oh I also hurt my thumb! :lol:

Fix that radiator and install some unibiker guards on there,lots of guys on this forum use them and I might be next. :lol: DC...

Three nice get-offs for me in the past week, two on the right side, one on the left. Unabikers just laughed and asked for more. I did scratch up my pristine Q2 however. I kinda want to kill it so I can upgrade to a PowerCore 4, but I digress. The Unabikers are great and a bit more stylish, but I don't think you can go wrong with the Flatlands, thought they are a bit utiliatarian :banghead: ...SC

I've been down plenty of times with my Flatlands. No damage. :banghead:

So folks... Is there a preference out there for UNABIKER or FLATLANDER gaurds?

Both look good and are $20 apart so which should I go for do you recon?

I'm after protection more than looks.

Thanks in advance,

Rod

6 of one, a half dozen of the other. Either way, I think you'll be okay. One thing I just thought of though, the Unabikers will work with an aftermarket tank, namely the Acerbis 3.4, with very minor tweaking. I don't know about the Flatlanders...SC

Thanks all

order going in tomorrow (once I check out my friends guards more closely)

TTFN

Rod

Never heard of either of those, I've ran nothing but Devol guards on my 400 and 450 and have never had a broken radiator, (and trust me, many of times I should have had one), but I am interested in these other ones............ Anyone got any links to some pics or info? :banghead: