Help with carb.....

First question, what needs adjustment when the bike is idling and i snap the throttle wide open and the engine die's?

Second, when i adjusted the air/fuel screw, the engine wanted it about 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 turns out. Why so far out?

?????

When it dies does it sound like it is rich (boggy) or running out of fuel. My guess would be that it is too rich. When you say that the engine "wants" the fuel screw so far out, what do you mean (not questioning you but just trying to help)?

First question, what needs adjustment when the bike is idling and i snap the throttle wide open and the engine die's?

Second, when i adjusted the air/fuel screw, the engine wanted it about 3-1/2 to 4-1/2 turns out. Why so far out?

Need some numbers first. Main jet, pilot, Needle and clip setting, needle orifice. Altitude and air temp wouldn't hurt. Stock or HRC manifold. Exhaust mods.

Impala, you have the stock carb, right? If so, it's gonna die when you whack the throttle from idle. The pumper carbs are the cure for this. Sounds like it needs a bigger pilot jet to fix the fuel screw deal. Out = more gas. Do you have the 68s pilot?

I think BWB would be of help to you..send him a pm or check his site. He knows his R models pretty damn well !!!

:banghead:

When you say that the engine "wants" the fuel screw so far out, what do you mean (not questioning you but just trying to help)?

Well the way i know how to adjust the air/fuel screw is to let the bike idle, then turn the screw out, (the idle should increase) and then keep turning it until the idle slows or sputters. And then start to screw it back in, counting the amount of turns it take's for the idle to do the same thing this direction, then find the middle of those two points, and that's the best mixture for idle. And that spot is like 4 turns out on my bike. And most bike's it's around 2 turns out.

I am having the same probs with my L. It has the 41FCR on it but I still have not been able to figure it out.

I have tried almost every combo, now I am pulling my hair out.

Travis

I will keep watching your thread hopefully we will all learn.

R1,

Sounds like the right methodology to me, what does the plug look like?

well the plug looks dark dark brown at idle, and lighter in the higher rpm's.

What size main and slow speed jet are you running?