Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bratz

Leaking coolant

7 posts in this topic

Hi all,

I'm just recently bought a 98' WR400 and just realized that it is leaking some coolant from a small hole near the waterpump cover.It only happen if I idle the bike maybe for a few minutes.Is this normal coz it will go away once i start riding.Please advice.

Thanks in advance

That's the weep hole that is the telltale sign of a bad waterpump seal. You'll likely need a new inner and outer seal and perhaps the shaft as well. You may want to replace the impeller too. Boyesen might make a complete replacement setup for you, though I didn't see it on their website. Give 'em a call at (800) 441-1177...SC

by the way i intend to change the seals myself and thru reading previous threads i will just need the inner/outer seal and an impeller shaft(if it's has groove).Apart from draining the coolant before i start is there anything else i should take note of??thanks again

before doing job, be sure to have all parts at hand including new right engine cover gasket

number marks on the seals installed must face outwards

grease seal lips when installing

no need to drain engine oil, just lay bike on its left side and if not finished in a day, bolt on cover, oil wont leak out of waterpump hole

recommend a bearing change too

its standard size for aftermarket store, just be sure to remove plastic or metal circlips from the bearing, since it should be open type (balls must be seen)

before doing job, be sure to have all parts at hand including new right engine cover gasket

number marks on the seals installed must face outwards

grease seal lips when installing

no need to drain engine oil, just lay bike on its left side and if not finished in a day, bolt on cover, oil wont leak out of waterpump hole

recommend a bearing change too

its standard size for aftermarket store, just be sure to remove plastic or metal circlips from the bearing, since it should be open type (balls must be seen)

thanks 5valve...thats a big help...anymore advice before i start repairing over this weekend :banghead: