CR/CRF forks on a XR650R

In an effort to upgrade the front forks on my R whilst on a budget, I bought some original CRF triple clamps off ebay. Has anyone done this. I don't have much into the triple clamps, so I figure I can experiment. Everything looks like it would work. I should have them in a few days, just looking for a priori confirmation about my frankenstein. Do you think the CRF triple clamps will fit the XR frame and bearings?

David

Do you know for a fact that I won't be able to use the CR stem and bearings? Is it the bearing that is the issue, or is it the stem? The length of the stem seems okay. I could see the bearing diameter being different, is that what you are saying?

Xr-stamm

I have done the conversion on my bike. You will need to use the Xr stem. The crf stem is too long. Also the bearings are different on the xr then from the crf. You need to use the crf wheel and axle. The triple clamps need to be modified for the steering stops. It is not much work but it can be done. I put a RTT Motorsports steering stabilizer on mine after I had done the frok fitup. Things can be done like I said but it just takes a little work. If you have any questions you can ask me. Tony

I just got in the CRF triple clamp and tore off the stock XR triple. The lower bearing is the same between the two. The kicker is the upper bearing. The XR uses a smaller bearing on the top, where the CRF uses the same bearing top and bottom. This is why you need to swap the stem.

My question is the diameter of the stem in the lower triple clamp is different. Those that did this, did you have to bush the hole? (no pun intended)