To 17 or not to 17, That is the Question...

Like the title says, pretty basic question....but more detail is always helpful.

My XR650R was my attempt to have a bike to do it all, trails, street...but with the raging pump prices, it has found a real purpose: Commuting. I ride ~80 miles a day (mostly on Highway 9 and Skyline) on semi-twisty to twisty roads. The problem is the front end grip, durn thing has almost left me on the lowside twice in the last week. I am running deathwings (came with the bike) and am not impressed. Should I go with a decent road tire for the stock wheels, or for 17's? If I go with the road tires for the stock wheels I will be in the market for a spare set of wheels for the weekends....any thoughts are appriciated.

Get the best tires you can for know and keep a eye out for a deal on 17 inchers. I'm going to get a set of seventeens but I havn't had time to take the measurements and see what I can convert over from a wrecked sportbike.

... I ride ~80 miles a day (mostly on Highway 9 and Skyline) on semi-twisty to twisty roads.

that's exactly where my Avon Distanzias on stock rims got some "testing" Actually it was up over 9, down to Bear Creek road, back over to 17, around lexington resevoir, and 17 back in to the valley. My biggest problem was leaving the front wheel ON the pavement - oh - and knocking on a carsonite reflector post with the handguard while leaning in a little bit far on a right hand corner :applause: The front end was planted when it was on the ground though.

I've been running 2.5 wt oil in the forks with some heavy springs and it's a great handling bike on the street - just too dang much fun:thumbsup:

You need to get some good street tires if you're doing 80 miles of pavement a day. Sounds like the wings need to go. I haven't ridden anything wet with the Avons, but that season is for knobbies and mud anyway! The $$$$ for 17's will get you another set of dirt wheels and lots of tires for each set. But if you get those 'tard'n wheels post up some pics - we'll all be jealous. :banghead:

I'll second rec'm for some decent street rubber on the 18/21s. But for the permanent solution of 80 miles a day I would look at getting a commutor bike. With so many very good used bikes out there and considering that you are quickly wearing out a fantastic dual sport motorcycle look at a commutor bike. How about a CBR600 F2 or F3. or a CB750. You can buy one, ride for 3 years, don't crash, and sell it for more than you paid.

Another idea is to do the Sunday morning ride, highway 1 Mill Valley/ Stinson Beach, and talk to the other 650R riders. There are ususally several on every ride.

I too have settled for some "street" tires, in my case Pirelli Scorpion MT90At and after about 6000 miles on 'em I can't really even see the need for 17s anymoe. I mean I WANT 'em but I don't really NEED 'em. I been knee down and truckin' just fine and I put about 150 miles a day on 'em. I'll get another set, and another, and another, and still have not spent half of what a set of 17s cost.

I'll second rec'm for some decent street rubber on the 18/21s. But for the permanent solution of 80 miles a day I would look at getting a commutor bike. With so many very good used bikes out there and considering that you are quickly wearing out a fantastic dual sport motorcycle look at a commutor bike. How about a CBR600 F2 or F3. or a CB750. You can buy one, ride for 3 years, don't crash, and sell it for more than you paid.

Another idea is to do the Sunday morning ride, highway 1 Mill Valley/ Stinson Beach, and talk to the other 650R riders. There are ususally several on every ride.

Thanks for the Sunday ride tip, where do these guys meet? I would get a sport bike/commuter but my wife would kill me if I had a second bike, much less a crotch rocket. She is convinced that the 650R keeps me going slower (she is right so it is hard to argue.)

Thanks to all for the responses, I think I am going to try the 18/21 street tire combo first, I am not really looking to spend any more than I have to.

C

The Sunday Morning ride leaves from Mill Valley at the Union (I think) station on Highway 1 located about 1/2 mile off Highway 101 (west of High 101) at the first major intersection on Highway 1. The bikes start showing up for coffee about 6:30AM and they leave at 7:00. Coming from SF on High 101 you take the High 1/Stinson Beach exit and go west 1/2 mile.