04 Wr450 Carb Problems

Hoping you all can maybe shed a little light on a problem I'm having with my dub-r.

Long story short...bike fell over while on the kick stand and was kind of upside down for maybe a minute. After I righted the pig she wouldn't start. I finally got it to fire after about 15 min. of kicking, it ran for about 1 minute then died.

Well 30 miles and a day later we finally got it out... I had to be towed out of a very not so easy trail. I tried starting it a couple of different times and the same thing would happen, it would run for about 30 seconds then act like it was running out of fuel, pop and die.

I got it home, took the carb off and completely cleaned it out, the tank and petcock also. New plug & fuel and once again it ran for about a minute the died and wouldn't restart.

It is getting fuel to the float bowl this I know. I was going to try tonight to see if it I can get it to run on either if I can get it to run at all. I was going to double check all vent lines to make sure nothing is clogged or that I didn't miss anything the first time through.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

Hoping you all can maybe shed a little light on a problem I'm having with my dub-r.

Long story short...bike fell over while on the kick stand and was kind of upside down for maybe a minute. After I righted the pig she wouldn't start. I finally got it to fire after about 15 min. of kicking, it ran for about 1 minute then died.

Well 30 miles and a day later we finally got it out... I had to be towed out of a very not so easy trail. I tried starting it a couple of different times and the same thing would happen, it would run for about 30 seconds then act like it was running out of fuel, pop and die.

I got it home, took the carb off and completely cleaned it out, the tank and petcock also. New plug & fuel and once again it ran for about a minute the died and wouldn't restart.

It is getting fuel to the float bowl this I know. I was going to try tonight to see if it I can get it to run on either if I can get it to run at all. I was going to double check all vent lines to make sure nothing is clogged or that I didn't miss anything the first time through.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob

please dont use either,bad news... :banghead: take the carb off and pull all your jets to see if they are clean and also check your float to see if it is stuck... :applause:

All jets were pulled and cleaned. The float does not seem to be stuck or not working properly. I have checked the bowl right after it stopped running to make sure it wasn't running the bowl dry and that doesn't seem to be the problem.

Running my terd on either is not my first option but if I can get it to run for a few more seconds on either... it will tell me that it is in fact a fuel problem and not some kind of electrical or ignition problem.

Hi there,

I wouldn't use Ether either. But a can of brake clean will work just as well, and sholdn't be so hard on the motor. Use it just like ether. In fact you can run the motor with the carb completely off the bike with a can of Brakecleen. Not that that's a solution or anything, but it is a great diagnostic tool.

In order for it to run properly the bike has to have 1. at least 100 lbs of compression, 2. a nice fat blue spark 3. at the right time, and 4. fuel and air at close to the right ratio. So if you are missing any of those 4 things it ain't gonna run. The good news is that you have at least 3 of them, or it wouldn't start at all. My guess is the fuel circuit for the pilot jet and the fuel screw is plugged somehow. When you cleaned the carb did U remove the fuel screw and blow some carb cleaner through the hole you left behind? When you take the fuel screw out there must be the fuel screw, a small spring (ball point pen sized) a small metal washer, and a small "O"-ring in that order. All that stuff goes on the fuel screw to seal out any air leaks, and the order of the part is crucial. You take the spring and put it on first. Then the metal washer, then finally the "O"-ring. Then you put it back up inside the carb abd snug it down, then back it off 1 3/4 turns. That's the base setting for it.

Also blow some carb cleaner through the air passages for the pilot jet, as it takes air and fuel to work.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!! :banghead:

so lets back up a little,does it run good when its running? if it does , it IS running the carb dry ...we just have to find out why....try tapping on the side of the carb , not too hard , when you have the drain open , I think the float is stuck bud ... :banghead: ...DC...

When it starts it runs fine for say the first 20 seconds and then it will start to pop and die. I tried taping on the carb when I was stuck on the trail and that didn't work. I tried draining the bowl after it had died, thinking maybe something was stuck in one of the jets or something and that didn't work either. I even tried to get it to start with the drain cracked and that didn't work.

In order for it to run properly the bike has to have

1. at least 100 lbs of compression,

2. a nice fat blue spark

3. at the right time, and

4. fuel and air at close to the right ratio.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!!! :banghead:

Go down the list methodically or it may drive you mad. When you know what the problem is you can concentrate on it.

My guess is fuel related too though.

Disconnect the fuel line from the carb and see if fuel runs out when you open the petcock.

Check to see that all your carb vent lines aren't blocked.

Check to see that the gas cap vent line isn't blocked

Check the float height.

Also check the spark plug (you were going to do that in step 1 anyway :applause: ). It may have gotten soaked while upside down for so long, but I'd think the bike wouldn't run at all.

When it starts it runs fine for say the first 20 seconds and then it will start to pop and die. I tried taping on the carb when I was stuck on the trail and that didn't work. I tried draining the bowl after it had died, thinking maybe something was stuck in one of the jets or something and that didn't work either. I even tried to get it to start with the drain cracked and that didn't work.

eerrrch..hey , maybe the choke is stuck... :banghead:

Ok, I got home tonight took the carb back off and tore it down again. All the jets, air screw, choke, hot start, needle, float, needle and seat, accelerator pump everhthing...nothing appears to be out of order. Everything has been checked fuel, petcock, carb...everything. I put it all back together and...nothing. I had the air box box out of the way and I can see that the accelerator pump is pumping fuel into the carb when the throttle is twisted. So this is starting to lead me to believe it might not be the carb at all and that it might be something electrical...in which case I don't know $hit about it. :banghead::applause:??????:busted::busted::busted::busted: