HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Scoobie

Silly Question

7 posts in this topic

Hi,

Went to do the valve clearances today on my 650R but the crankcase cover refuses to budge. The guy that had the bike before me just used the inspection cover and turned the back wheel , but I'd rather get the cover off and do it that way.

Are there any tips/hints to getting the cover off - I've tried using a mallet tapping around the cover but no joy.

Cheers,

Scoobie

Yeah, there should be 4 bolts holding the inspection cover on. But, the thing that can make getting the cover off is the generator/alternator set-up. Since the system is magnetic, it sucks the cover on pretty tight, and holds it there. I've just used a rubber mallet in the past, and you have to hold the shift lever down to get it off all the way. The only thing you can really do is just keep tapping the cover, but try to pull it off as you tap. It may be hard, but thats just the way it goes on these.

Hi,

The guy that had the bike before me just used the inspection cover and turned the back wheel , but I'd rather get the cover off and do it that way.

For all XRs I put the tranny in high gear and rotate rear tire without removing spark plug. This is much easier because the motor has less tendancy to flop past the TDC mark.

You can sit on floor and look into inspection port while turning the rear wheel. I realize you would prefer to remove flywheel cover but what is the big deal about doing it the easy way especially since you are having so much trouble with cover. You will need to check valve clearance often if you ride much so make it easy on yourself.