2006 WR450 vs 2005 model

Anyone riding a 2006 WR450 yet? Are the improvements significant? I notice LA cyclesports wants about $700 more for the 2006, which I assume means they are still trying to move out the 2005s.

I think the new computer with the speedo is worthwhile, becuase I'd like to dual sport the bike.

Suggestions? Buy the 2006 or save the $700 and buy the 2005?

Save your money, buy an '05 and use that 700 to street legalize it and buy a better computer than the one that comes on it. You can get a nice enduro computer for a whole lot cheaper than 700 dollars. you can get a barely street legal kit from a guy in Kaysville Utah for less than 100 dollars and then spend 100 or so on street tires and about 50 for paperwork and liscincing. Thats my opinion.

From what I've seen the differences are very minor...there's the new computer, a bit of tweaking to the swingarm and fork valving, and supposedly upgraded seat foam and that's it. $700 worth of improvements? Not worth it to me. I'll buy the computer when it comes available, but the other stuff is just lipstick and rouge. Now if they had included "Bold New Graphics", well, Katie bar the door! :banghead: ...SC

Has everyone forgot about TrailTech? Granted, it requires a battery and doesn't run off of the electrical system like (hopefully) the Yamaha computer does, but the thing has some really cool features, and its cheap. The new version they're coming out with next has a tach on it as well.

I have a street legal 2005 wr450 with a trailtech enduro computer, and have had no complaints..... Except the seat foam for road riding. =) But then again, the wr450 was designed to be an off road vehicle, and if the seat foam hurts when you're riding off road, STAND UP MORE. :banghead:

:applause:

I'd go for the 2006.

Better suspension, the Speedometer, and the adjustable handlebar mounts. There will be mounts to go big bars easily. Better resale value down the road also. Play hard ball with the dealer.

Agreed....

The 05 was a big year for the WR, it received many upgrades. The 06 model appears to be just as nice with some nice updates. You can't really expect these bikes to be completely new every year but they always get better, either by a small margin or large margin. The 06 has new forks and a new, softer seat. I welcome the new computer and the odo drive on the hub. I like the fact that the swingarm stickers are gone, I'm gonna take a heat gun to mine. My father picked up an 06 on Saturday, I'll ride it soon enough. I'm excited about the new forks. Yamaha has always done a fantastic job on their suspensions I'm sure the 06's won't disappoint..

• 7 months later...

Just curious, how old is your father? I bought an 06 two months ago after a long hiatus from riding/racing. I live in Santee and am looking for riding partners. Just turned 60, but 4 day/week at 24hrs has kept me young. Have ridden off of Pine Valley Rd so far, fire roads and single track trails. Curious about desert, use to drive out to Plaster City and ride in that area in the late 70s. Not sure of closures or best areas?

Best Regards

Tim AKA Ancient One

Save your money, buy an '05 and use that 700 to street legalize it and buy a better computer than the one that comes on it. You can get a nice enduro computer for a whole lot cheaper than 700 dollars. you can get a barely street legal kit from a guy in Kaysville Utah for less than 100 dollars and then spend 100 or so on street tires and about 50 for paperwork and liscincing. Thats my opinion.

A couple of months ago (arounf Xmas) their was a guy on TT selling ALL his road gear, lights, Computer everything for around 200 Canadian the lot (from a 06 model). I think he did the supermoto thing and trashed the lot - dont suppose it is around now though.

A search might reveal somthing.

I guess you'd need a front hub for the computer though?

I cant fault my 06 (except for "heavy feel" - only owned 2 strokes before!) but never had a 05 either.

Thanks for the info guys, I ordered a 2006 from my local dealerhsip, can't wait to get it, does anyone have a pic of the speedo? i have not seen one yet.

Key (retrofitted) and Trip computer on the 06WR:

WR450FKey001.jpg

Nice, works well , not too heavy, shame about NO Tacho though! - should have been easy to wire/program in ! ?

its obvious that the "value" difference between an 05 and an 06 is not $700. They both run the same.

Can any of us really ride and tell the minor difference they made with the front forks. The forks on the 05 is awesome.

The real question is.... 5 years from now, will you be able to get $700 more for an 05 as opposed to an 06 when you get ready to sell.

The answer is probably NO.

thanks for the pics guys, so i guess i won't need a speedo to liscence the 06 as it has one stock, where did you guys get the ignitions? are they part of the dual sport kits?

The bike came with the push button which was replaced by my dealer with a Yamaha brand ignition - I know not where it comes from. Someone said it was from a Yamaha Quad. I think you could probably order one from the TTR bike range and wire it in - just a thought!

?