Is Stator Bad???

Just had a new stator put in my 99 yz400 and the thing will not kick over for anything. :banghead: Could it be between the stator and the CDI? I put a new plug in a no spark what so ever. My foot is sore from kicking. Can't think of what else it could be. Not even close to firing. I did find a piece of shop towel in my water pump from the mechanic though. What could they have done to the stator? The CDI is stock

HELP!!!!! :applause::lol:

What made you think the stator was bad in the first place? Did you have the shop test the other electronic components on your bike like the CDI box, spark plug lead, coil, wire connections and your ground contacts when they had it in the shop?

The old stator was damaged so a new one was put in at the shops expense. Could it be bad? Not sure if they needed to mess with internal wiring or not but the other end is the end that plugs into the CDI with a 6 prong clip. Can't think of anything else that would not give me a spark.

The old stator was damaged so a new one was put in at the shops expense. Could it be bad? Not sure if they needed to mess with internal wiring or not but the other end is the end that plugs into the CDI with a 6 prong clip. Can't think of anything else that would not give me a spark.

Did they damage the old one? Towel in the motor? With those kind of thing going wrong with your shop already, are you sure they got the right part? Actully installed it correctly or even got a new part? :banghead:

Yes.....I saw the part after it was installed. My question is.....Is that the most likely thing it could be?

I would take your bike back to the shop and tell them you have no spark and have them check the items I listed in my last post. I agree with mkporn, I would be concerned with a shop that leaves a shop towel in the water pump when they replaced the stator.

Just had a new stator put in my 99 yz400 and the thing will not kick over for anything. :applause: Could it be between the stator and the CDI? I put a new plug in a no spark what so ever. My foot is sore from kicking. Can't think of what else it could be. Not even close to firing. I did find a piece of shop towel in my water pump from the mechanic though. What could they have done to the stator? The CDI is stock

HELP!!!!! :lol::lol:

Well, it seems to me that your shop needs to fix the problem for you if that is what you paid for in the first place. As for what could be wrong, there are sveral things. If you wish to troubleshoot this yourself you need a manual and a good meter (fluke 87 with true RMS)..

Start simple.....

Check to make sure your kill switch is not grounding out by simple disconnecting it first and seeing if you have spark.

check to make sure your spark plug cap is in good condition, coil has a good ground.... Check to make sure that the coil tests out with in spec's.

Your manual should have spec's for your stator to make sure it is good and will tell you how too test it with your meter.

As for the CDI, there is no test. So, you need to check all your connections, make sure everything is installed as per factory and that everything that can be tested is.

If all is good and your stator is installed correct, good plug, cap, wire, coil, connections and grounds are all installed correct and test out within factory spec's, your CDI is the guilty party.

There is no test for it and if you use a Ohm meter on it you can actually ruin it.....

Not sure as to how mechanically inclined you are or what tools you have, or the complete story, so that is the best I can give. :banghead:

I took the motor out to have the cases redone in the first place. They messed up the stator and put in a new one. I saw it. It was new. But there is only a 6 prong to hook it back up once the cases were done and the motor was back in the bike. All was working great before I took the mototr out for the case work. That's what makes me think they did something with the stator install......just can't figure out what it was they did.

Got it back to them to fix. Just wondered if anyone would have an idea of what a common problam would have been.

Thanks

Here is an odd question, I recently installed a gytr off road flywheel last week. Today I took my 450 out to the desert. shortly into the ride, I thought I was stung by a bee under my index finger as it rested on the clutch. I blew it off until a few minutes later when I got the same sensation on all my fingers as they rested on the clutch. I determined that it was an electric charge coming from the bike and shocking me. I could not determine where it came from and the only change I've made was the flywheel. Any ideas? comments? Maybe I'm nuts but I can't figure it out.It kind of makes you paranoid. Any help would be appreciated.....

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now