HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
redgrizz

need some 426 info

2 posts in this topic

hey guys. im gonna be lookinf or a new bike soon. i need a bike that can handle woods and also when i feel like it handle some jumps. i will either be getting a 426 or yz250. but i need some info on the 426. Can it handle what i want to do? the valves on the 426 are shim and bucket right? are they reliable(yes i know evrything is when you take care of them but i mean were there any problems from the factory or a common problem), i know 2001 was the forst year for titiamium valves, which would you pick the steel or titinaium, iv heard people pick either but i odnt knoe exzactly why, and finally what shoudl i look for specifically when buying a used one. I know the usual stuff like bearings and stuff but anything specific? thankyou for the help

"Can it handle what i want to do?" -- Absolutely

"the valves on the 426 are shim and bucket right?" -- Yes

"are they reliable" -- Yes

"i know 2001 was the forst year for titiamium valves, which would you pick the steel or titinaium" -- Can't say but I haven't had any reason to not stay with the titanium valves that came in it.

"and finally what shoudl i look for specifically when buying a used one." -- Nothing specific that I can think of.

I have a '01 YZ426 that I use only for forest/desert trail riding and have never had more fun on a bike. In the 3 years that I have owned the bike I haven't had a single problem with it. At the next valve check I will probably need to re-shim a valve for the first time. Get the jetting right and cure the Yamabog problem (do the BK/GB mod to the carb) and your good to go.