Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
yasotay1

When changing a jet needle from stock?

3 posts in this topic

Ok, fairly new at this. I have a 2001 WR426 with a big gun full system, power now, and boyeson quick shot. My bike has been running pretty rich and I've changed the jetting to lean out the mix and it's almost there. A friend recommended that I go 1 or 2 steps leaner than stock on the needle. Either stock or aftermarket. I figured I'd pay 13 bucks for a stock needle from yamaha rather than try a JD kit. First of all, I ride at altitudes mostly around 8,000 to 10,000 feet locally and I'm wondering if the JD jet kit is worth it to someone that rides at high altitudes or should I stick with the stock type needle. If I put the leaner needle in will I have to rejet drastically or just minor changes. Thanks for any help.

Ok, fairly new at this. I have a 2001 WR426 with a big gun full system, power now, and boyeson quick shot. My bike has been running pretty rich and I've changed the jetting to lean out the mix and it's almost there. A friend recommended that I go 1 or 2 steps leaner than stock on the needle. Either stock or aftermarket. I figured I'd pay 13 bucks for a stock needle from yamaha rather than try a JD kit. First of all, I ride at altitudes mostly around 8,000 to 10,000 feet locally and I'm wondering if the JD jet kit is worth it to someone that rides at high altitudes or should I stick with the stock type needle. If I put the leaner needle in will I have to rejet drastically or just minor changes. Thanks for any help.

I can tell you that the jd kit completely changed my bike . and there is lots of info to adjust for any altitude , you can make your bike run almost perfect... :banghead:

I'll second that!! My WR wouldn't even idle until I put the JD kit in. What's nice about the kit is, it gives you a guide to help you. It matches your altitude with the proper needle (red or blue) and the proper clip position. Also it gives you the main jets with it. Being a jetting retard, this helped me a lot. Be sure to check the jetting thread at the opening page to this section. Guys have their jetting set up posted there. Saved me a lot of trial and error.