XR650R using oil

What do you think would cause my bike to use say one half quart of oil in say 300 miles? It doesn't leak and I dont notice any smoke. The bike lives in Baja and is ridden at high speeds. It has about 7000 miles on it. Runs great, spark plug looks normal. How many miles can one get before a rebuild. :banghead:

What do you think would cause my bike to use say one half quart of oil in say 300 miles? It doesn't leak and I dont notice any smoke. The bike lives in Baja and is ridden at high speeds. It has about 7000 miles on it. Runs great, spark plug looks normal. How many miles can one get before a rebuild. :banghead:

You shouldn't need a rebuild right now. These bikes can "consume" oil from time to time but if she's not leaking or burning it, I'm a bit baffled. Is your crankcase breather blowing out oil? Have you pulled your stator cover to see if any is getting in there?

You shouldn't need a rebuild right now. These bikes can "consume" oil from time to time but if she's not leaking or burning it, I'm a bit baffled. Is your crankcase breather blowing out oil? Have you pulled your stator cover to see if any is getting in there?

Have someone 'experienced' with leak down testing perform a leak down test on your bike and that may give you a clue as to what's going on.

Have someone 'experienced' with leak down testing perform a leak down test on your bike and that may give you a clue as to what's going on.

I have noticed with my 650R that fresh oil tends to hold level well while older oil tends to get used up quicker. I normally change oil at about every 500 miles when convienent and I am at home. At these change intervals I notice no consumption. On long trips away from home I have extended changes up to as much as about 2000 miles. In this situation I often will need to add oil during second half of trip. I use Shell Rotella T or Chevron Delo both in 15-40 and not high price motorcycle specific synthetics. I usually ride at pretty relaxed pace and seldom get on the gas hard.

I have noticed with my 650R that fresh oil tends to hold level well while older oil tends to get used up quicker. I normally change oil at about every 500 miles when convienent and I am at home. At these change intervals I notice no consumption. On long trips away from home I have extended changes up to as much as about 2000 miles. In this situation I often will need to add oil during second half of trip. I use Shell Rotella T or Chevron Delo both in 15-40 and not high price motorcycle specific synthetics. I usually ride at pretty relaxed pace and seldom get on the gas hard.

It's my understanding that all combustion engines use oil by design, some oil is left on the cylinder wall each stroke. Now the amount in most cases is barely noticeable between changes as recommended by the manufacturer. It can vary by the type and age of oil used, the conditions and even be affected by the break-in procedure used intially. Other factors that can influence usage are wear, which can be caused prematurely if the aircleaner is not working correctly.

In the case of the XR, my owners book suggests changing the oil every 1000 kilometres (600 miles). Ive noticed no usage yet but I have only done a 1600 kilometres.

If you are changing the oil regularly, as specified and you are needing to put oil in between changes you can either live with it and continue to monitor it, or have the motor repaired.

Worn valve guide seals will cause oil usage, mainly noticeable with throttle close going down hill. Worn rings would be my next guess, but as previously noted a leakdown test should be able to diagnose that.

It's my understanding that all combustion engines use oil by design, some oil is left on the cylinder wall each stroke. Now the amount in most cases is barely noticeable between changes as recommended by the manufacturer. It can vary by the type and age of oil used, the conditions and even be affected by the break-in procedure used intially. Other factors that can influence usage are wear, which can be caused prematurely if the aircleaner is not working correctly.

In the case of the XR, my owners book suggests changing the oil every 1000 kilometres (600 miles). Ive noticed no usage yet but I have only done a 1600 kilometres.

If you are changing the oil regularly, as specified and you are needing to put oil in between changes you can either live with it and continue to monitor it, or have the motor repaired.

Worn valve guide seals will cause oil usage, mainly noticeable with throttle close going down hill. Worn rings would be my next guess, but as previously noted a leakdown test should be able to diagnose that.

I'm not an expert on the 650R engine, but it usually ends up being worn valve guides which will leak a bit on startup (usually) and always on deceleration due to increased engine vacuum. Seems like I have heard that the intake valves are a bit soft on the Pig. Mybe time for a head rebuild.

I'm not an expert on the 650R engine, but it usually ends up being worn valve guides which will leak a bit on startup (usually) and always on deceleration due to increased engine vacuum. Seems like I have heard that the intake valves are a bit soft on the Pig. Mybe time for a head rebuild.

The Honda Big Bores generally use a little oil during run time; its just the way the bikes are. But, also, in the BRP's, the front valve guide seals are submerged in oil all the time, even when the bike is off, and over time then can develop a slight leak. Mine smoked quite a bit before my rebuild, and I rebuilt/replated/replaced almost everything from the case up, and the bike stopped smoking. My reccommendation is valve guide seals. Now if I could only find out whats makin all my top end noise...

If your running in hot climates at hi rpm all the time gear it taller, I run 20/50 Mobile 1 gold cap with no problems and make sure it's not running too lean it will run hot and the oil thins out.