DOT Legal Knobbies

I am in the market for a set of DOT knobbies for my WR. Does anyone have any suggestions. Where I ride has alot of sand,little mud and some black dirt. Of course they are all trails. I am trying to get the bike street legal. I thought this would open up (getting a plate) more riding possibilties.

Regards, Dennis ?

I've run MT21s on my wifes XR250 and don't have any complaints - the tires (nor the bike for that matter) have never been the limiting factor of being able to get up or thru something.

Unless you have some truly hardcore police around I wouldn't sweat the DOT legal tires too much. I haven't had any problems yet....

Brian

I use a Dunlop 905 on the front excelent off road and good on road (long lasting). On the rear at the moment I have a Bridgestone ED4 pretty good sofar (tread depth of 16mm) once worn out I'll try the Trackmaster II I have heard very good things about this tyre. I ride in England so alot of mud meaning grip is hard to find on a dot/duel tyre and I've tried a few the worst being the MT21.

Brian do you think the police are going to let me threw when they give me my inspection. I'm in Michigan, anyway I thought a pair of Pirelli MT21's would be good? Yes ?

Dennis

Mr. Dirt, if your in Mi. there would be no harm in trying to get your street title with non DOT tires. If they check and refuse you try another police station or go out and buy the DOT's.

A couple of my buddies have the Kendas on bikes in Mi. The tire works well in our sandy state.

Good luck and see ya on the trail.

Olson,What the hell, I'm going to try to get it by without the DOT tires.Worst case I buy them. I like the meats that came with the bike. I'll keep you all posted whats going on with this. It will read Dens Dirt and Michigan law ! ?

Dennis

I'm not really sure Brian. I'm just a little apprehensive about the whole thing. The I wish I could find a dealer close to me in southeast Michigan that could do that. I would even settle for taking it to them.

Dennis

• 5 months later...
Originally posted by Ben from London:

I use a Dunlop 905 on the front excelent off road and good on road (long lasting). On the rear at the moment I have a Bridgestone ED4 pretty good sofar (tread depth of 16mm) once worn out I'll try the Trackmaster II I have heard very good things about this tyre. I ride in England so alot of mud meaning grip is hard to find on a dot/duel tyre and I've tried a few the worst being the MT21.

HI BEN

ITS JOHN AGAIN,

NOTICED YOU ARE USING AN ED4 ON THE REAR.

I'VE ALSO PUT A BRIDGESTONE ED4 ON THE BACK

AFTER THE ORIGINAL MICH COMP 4 WAS KNACKERED.

TROUBLE IS THOUGH I'VE ONLY BEEN OUT TWICE

AND THE THINGS 1/3 DEAD ALREADY (approx

150 miles).THESE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE HARD COMPOUND, HOWS YOURS HOLDING OUT?

JOHN IN PORTSMOUTH