Signs of Clutch Wear

I am curious what some of the first signs of clutch wear are. What is it that you can feel to determine if it's time to replace or not without pulling your basket and inspecting everything?

I have started to notice some notchy feel when down shifting that I don't remember being there before.

Thanks!

I am curious what some of the first signs of clutch wear are. What is it that you can feel to determine if it's time to replace or not without pulling your basket and inspecting everything?

I have started to notice some notchy feel when down shifting that I don't remember being there before.

Thanks!

The clutch will start to misbehave when parts get worn. Indications are that you've had to adjust the freeplay a number of times because it kept getting tighter, or the clutch slips, drags, or grabs.

Notchy shifter feel is a shifter cam/linkage issue, usually not related to the clutch.

The clutch will start to misbehave when parts get worn. Indications are that you've had to adjust the freeplay a number of times because it kept getting tighter, or the clutch slips, drags, or grabs.

Notchy shifter feel is a shifter cam/linkage issue, usually not related to the clutch.

The only way to tell if your plates are worn is to pull them out and measure them. Fiber plates are cheap, I would recommend changing them once a year if you ride alot. Then you don't have to worry about a breakdown. If you wait and smoke the clutch then you'll need to buy a complete kit with metal plates.