Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jchammer

Cam Chain Replacement

4 posts in this topic

Does anyone know of a step-by-step how-to on a cam chain replacement? I've had a couple mechanics explain it to me by word of mouth, but pictures or at least a detailed description are nice. I have an '00 YZ426, but I'm guessing it's similar on most YZ's/WR's.

I'm shimming my valves, and figured it has to be pretty close once I get the cams out, other than pulling the ignition so I can get at the bottom crank.

Thanks.

If you are already shimming the valves, it's only a few more steps. (You need an owner service manual, BTW http://motoman393.thumpertalk.com/tech/files/426_manual.html)

Remove the ignition cover, pull the flywheel, remove the stator plate (no need to disconnect the wiring, just be gentle with it), and then unbolt the chain tensioner shoe. Chain comes right off. Be sure to keep tension on the chain until the tensioner is bolted back in place, and whenever you are rotating the engine, so the the chain doesn't loop a link off the bottom of the crank sprocket.

You will need a flywheel puller ($15 or less at ANY real parts counter...fits almost all Japanese bikes) and a Torx bit for the stator plate screws (on both my bikes, it's a #27).

If you are already shimming the valves, it's only a few more steps. (You need an owner service manual, BTW http://motoman393.thumpertalk.com/tech/files/426_manual.html)

Remove the ignition cover, pull the flywheel, remove the stator plate (no need to disconnect the wiring, just be gentle with it), and then unbolt the chain tensioner shoe. Chain comes right off. Be sure to keep tension on the chain until the tensioner is bolted back in place, and whenever you are rotating the engine, so the the chain doesn't loop a link off the bottom of the crank sprocket.

You will need a flywheel puller ($15 or less at ANY real parts counter...fits almost all Japanese bikes) and a Torx bit for the stator plate screws (on both my bikes, it's a #27).