electric start for 2000 XR650R

Pick up an issue of Cycle News and look in the back!!! There is a company that for around 875.00 offers a complete kit. I just found an issue, here is the info. The company is none other than Baja Designs, bajadesigns.com of info @bajadesigns.com. Or phone them at (760)560-2252. I have never used or installed the kit, but coming from baja designs, it has to be pretty good.

I am 15yrs old and just got a xr650r and i cant start the thing my self :D so if anyone knows of a company or website that sells electric starts for it please post it.

I have been using the Baja Designs E-Starter for the XR650R for over a year now and it is great. BTW, if you learn the proper drill for kick starting the big XR it is very easy to start and you don't even have to put much kick into it.

Push down on the kick starter until you get to a hard spot. Now pull in the Decompression lever and kick past the hard spot about one inch (it don't take much). Now let the kick starter lever come all the way up. Just follow thru with the kick. It should start. If your running the stock carb never give it any gas to start the bike cause it will flood.

:D

remember, u don't kick a big bore 650 like a small 2 stroke. There's a very easy way to start a 650r, just step down on the kickstart slowly and if it get's stuck use the decompression lever a few time's, then don't kick it, just step through it. I see people trying to kick a 650 as hard and fast as they can, and they never start it the first 5 time's, these kickstarters are made for the big bore, and there made not to be kicked, there made more to be stepped through. a 2 stroke kickstarter is half the size of the 650, so the 650 can be kicked half as hard.

There have been a few times that I have got the pig stuck in the mud and can't get a full kick because of the depth of the mud. I'ld have payed the $1000 right there and then. otherwise it starts so good that I forget about it again. MY solution now is DON'T get stuck and stall it. The XR650r hides it's weight well till you get it stuck and have to lift it out. Anyway here's a link to another place that sells them. http://joeracerproducts.com/xrelectricstartkit.php

It's more money but looks way better. Almost factory like. No experience with either one though.

thanks for the sites, its appreatated, i finaly got the damn thing started today using the decompresser leaver, but i cleaned the carb but i think it needs more cleaning,cuz the thing sat for 4years w/o beeing riden.

There have been a few times that I have got the pig stuck in the mud and can't get a full kick because of the depth of the mud. I'ld have payed the $1000 right there and then. otherwise it starts so good that I forget about it again. MY solution now is DON'T get stuck and stall it. The XR650r hides it's weight well till you get it stuck and have to lift it out. Anyway here's a link to another place that sells them. http://joeracerproducts.com/xrelectricstartkit.php

It's more money but looks way better. Almost factory like. No experience with either one though.

The Joe Racer kick starter has gotten bad reviews from those who have tried it. When I was looking for a kick starter for my XR650R a couple of years ago I read reviews from actual buyers. Those reviewing the Joe Racer one were not happy. If they would have been happy I would have bought his for looks alone. About 6 months ago someone on ebay was unloading one of Joe's for less than half the price paid for it. The Baja Designs starter is fool proof and will never wear out. Plus they stand behind theirs which was another complaint against Joe's.

Since thumper talk has gone through several major changes since I read those reviews you may not be able to find them doing a search. But several of us remember those reviews.

Old_Man_Time thanks for the heads up on that. I have to admit that I'll be kicking around the idea of electric start over the winter. Nobody makes a bike that is perfect for me or that I'd be willing to trade for, so if this makes the good old XR more perfect I may just do it too. To me the BD starter motor sticks out a long way. Any issues with it getting in your way? Is your stator rewound? If so any problems keeping a charge in the battery with it? I have my bike dual sported and a rewind is in the works as well. Any dislikes with the kit? Other than the huge price. :banghead:

Old_Man_Time thanks for the heads up on that. I have to admit that I'll be kicking around the idea of electric start over the winter. Nobody makes a bike that is perfect for me or that I'd be willing to trade for, so if this makes the good old XR more perfect I may just do it too. To me the BD starter motor sticks out a long way. Any issues with it getting in your way? Is your stator rewound? If so any problems keeping a charge in the battery with it? I have my bike dual sported and a rewind is in the works as well. Any dislikes with the kit? Other than the huge price. :banghead:

The only negative I have found about that starter is it's looks. After a while it just don't matter. I did have Baja Designs rewind my stator and I have zero problems charging the battery. Also Baja Designs warrantees their rewind for as long as you own the bike. I run grip heaters, headlight and tail light with no problems on battery draw.