HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
sgtmadmax

good headlights for XR6650R

10 posts in this topic

Anyone have a good set up for headlights for the XR650R. I've been riding at noght and have found that the Baja Designs light is a little lacking. I'm getting ready to rewind the stator to get some more power for lights. I'm looking for some lights to run in the desert at night.Thanks

rewind than higher watt bulbs, niterider makes hid helmet light,works very very well. little pricey but worth it. i run 200w stator,55/100 bulb+helmet light

Before you buy another headlight, rewind the stator and try the BD light with a 100W or 135W bulb. I have the OEM glass lens (BD upgrade kit) with a 100W bulb and it works pretty well.

I agree with the upgrade to glass lense, rewind, and higher wattage bulb. I had this done (cheapest option at the time) on my XR600 done through Baja Designs and it worked well.

On my 650, I now have Baja Designs 8" PIAA halogen system (given to me by a friend), rewind, wired to run high/low beams at the same time, close to 200watts. This light works well and compared to my friend's Baja Designs Tecate light, its close with the HID being slightly better for depth perception of bumps.

Helmet lights sound cool, can you run a hemet light off your stator with a lead or just off a battery pack, which only last for an hour, right?

Before you buy another headlight, rewind the stator and try the BD light with a 100W or 135W bulb. I have the OEM glass lens (BD upgrade kit) with a 100W bulb and it works pretty well.

James is right. Change out the bulb only with something like the PIAA Xtreme White or Super Plasma. Both work very well.

the Night Rider Storm helmet light works very well just because it allows to look around a little more. I use the stock headlight on WR,just because I have'nt picked my XR, and it lights up the trails well. It does take a litte bit to get used to though. The Night Rider set up is pricey but can be used for mountain biking or trail hiking if your into those things as well. That just helped me justify the price, since I seem to find myself going for night rides as well as trail runs at night.

If you are going to race the 1000, helmet lights are good for fill-in lights but you cannot substitute a good HID light. We've run the Tecate light in the past but this year dual 8" HID lights. They are heavier but seem to handle well. Riding with a higher wattage standard headlight and a Nightrider will work but may limit the speeds you can maintain during the night. Remember, its dark by 5:30 and you'll race until maybe daybreak the next day. That means the largest part of the race is at night.

Ditto.