HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
johnnyghia

Play in front brake rotor

6 posts in this topic

Hello all any advice welcome. I have a 2003 yz450. The front brake disk is, two pieces held together with Six rivets. I have noticed there is play here the two plates are moving a bit although still held together by the rivets. It is getting worse.

Am I right to assume a new rotor has no play and I require a new rotor asap.

Thanks in advance

There is some play in the floating disk but it can become excessive and effect braking performance. It may need replacing. Compare yours to a buddies or go into a shop and check one out on a couple of used bikes

Often it is the 'buttons' , or what you've called rivets, that wear out, causing excessive movement. The movement can be side to side, as well as back and forth. On street bikes (sports bikes at least), there are aftermarket disc rotor buttons/retainers available, some are anodized, it you're interested in bling..... Not certain if they're available for dirt bikes..... Check (or have checked) your disc to see whether it's the entire disc, or just the retainers that are worn excessively.