HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ripntear

Counter Sprocket Seal Leaking

10 posts in this topic

I guess that's what it is. I have noticed over the last few rides that there is an accumulation of oil and dirt on the frame just under the front sprocket. It's not coming from the vent tube.

Dose anyone know the part #'s for the seal and o-ring needed for replacement?

It's a 2001 426

Thanks!

I have seen a wrong placed gas vent tube melt behind the sprocket due to friction heat build up, damaging the seal and causing all oil leak out during a race. (hope you understood my excellent english :D )

I have seen a wrong placed gas vent tube melt behind the sprocket due to friction heat build up, damaging the seal and causing all oil leak out during a race. (hope you understood my excellent english :D )

Thats a weird one.

I'm not sure why mine starting leaking, but for around $11.00 I'll be able to fix 'er up.

I can understand all kinds of english. I is one.

Thats a weird one.

Yes, tell me about it! There were actually tube pieces between the seal and shaft and luckily it did not seize. My friend was leading the 1 hour race with the YFZ450 when he pulled over due to oil loss.

my countershaft seal was leaking about 2 months after i took the bike off the showroom floor.. tried the fork seal trick on the countershaft and it fixed it right up.

make sure it not just excess chain lube flinging off your chain. it makes a mess on my bike and i hardly use any chain lube / use expensive stuff thats not supposed to fling.

Thats a weird one.

I'm not sure why mine starting leaking, but for around $11.00 I'll be able to fix 'er up.

I can understand all kinds of english. I is one.

Got a peice of string wrapped up in mine last year and it cut up the seal. I went to the local bearing and seal house and got a new seal and o-ring (there is a o-ring under the collar on the shaft) for $3.28 with tax.... The seal was 1mm wider but works great and was cheaper than factory. :banghead: