HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pbusanga

XR650R over revving

10 posts in this topic

Hi can anyone tell me if there is a rev limiter on the XR650r. sometimes when i let the engine rev out in 4th gear it falters / stutters i am not sure (as there is no tach) if i am over revving or if i have a carb problem.

thanks

Yes there is a limiter bout 8500 stock i think, from what you have said i can't say weather its limiter or carb problem

that being said I have hit limiter maybe 2-3 times the whole time I have owned my bike bout 4 months, there is just not need to have it revving that high most of its power is in the low rpm's

I hit the rev limiter all the time:p we really need more technical riding here in socal though.

could be a carb issue though too, you really gotta wind the sob out hit the limiter

too rich main? could be but if it started bobbling all the sudden its not jetting.

try a good clean

Actually the rev limiter is easy to hit if your pushing the bike to it's max rpms. There is a after market CDI that raises the point at which the rev limiter activates. I don't think you need it though since you have already used the best portion of its power getting to the limiter.

Hi can anyone tell me if there is a rev limiter on the XR650r. sometimes when i let the engine rev out in 4th gear it falters / stutters i am not sure (as there is no tach) if i am over revving or if i have a carb problem.

thanks

What happens when you shift to fifth.

You can remove the left side airfilter cover and take it for a blast if it's rich it should run better, watch the filter don't fall out, mine was a tad rich on top, I did the side cover mod and it's much more lively at higher revs and jetting seems very good now. Mines geared tall and has a slight surge on the hiway at 75 mph 1/3 throttle but mpg is so good I don't want to fug with it.

hi when i change to 5th or back of throttle the stutter goes away. the bike is uncorked with an edelbrock carb and fmf powercore and powerbomb header.

strangely i have not noticed this in the lower gears although i tend to short shift in lower gears to keep the bike in the powerband (and to keep the front wheel on the ground....) and only wind it open when in 4th to get top speed. the bike is brand new and this has happened from the beggining it is not something that has appeared over time.

i am not an experienced thumper rider having ridden fierblades etc where you wind them out to the max.

tell you what though i have much more fun on this than i do on my fireblade.

cheers