YZ400/426/450 $$$/performance comparisson

Hey all .. I'm thinking about putting together a track tard and am looking into YZ's at the moment ... I've been perusing the classifieds looking for second hand bikes and I'm just interested in people's opinions on the price/performance tradeoff over all 3 models. I can get a yz400 for around $4000 in local aussie pesos :D or a 426 around 4500-5000 and the 450's are up around 6500, which is a bit rich for my budget concious potential tard project :D

So ... the 426 sounds like a good compromise but I've heard a million and one stories about their unreliability ... woodruff key problems, clutch problems, gearbox problems (esp bad for motard of course :D ) ... so assuming that a 450 is out of the equation, am I better looking to a 99 yz400 as a better bet at staying together? or were the 426 problems resolved sufficiently?

Thanks!

Neil.

Took my '01 426 out to the Canadian River yesterday and today. I was playing around with my newly revalved forks from Factory Connection. NICE!!!.

I love this bike. It has given me no problems what so ever (except that stupid little bog) and has more than enough power to do anything I've thrown at it. It handles great and runs like a bat out of hell. Smooth, sweet, reliable power. It's a little heavy, but nothing I can't live with.

I have started putting some $$$ into it to clean it up and customize it. I held off on doing that because I wanted to make sure I was going to keep it for a while... at least another year or so.

Some day a new 450 will be under my rear, but until then, I'll just hop on ole faithful and know that I'm in for a blast that day.

Ask around the motard forums is my advice. In the dirt the 01' and later 426 are rock solid, never heard any reliability issues with the 450's either. The earliest 426 and 400's had some small bugs (woodruff key issue, grabby clutch, etc..) but still have a good rep for reliability, at least in the dirt. Motard works the bikes differently so my advice is ask around those forums to see how the motors hold up to that type of use. Best of luck!

The '01 and '02 426's were especially bullet proof. The '00 had a couble minor problems as others have said, the key word here is minor. All in all the 400/426/450 have proven to be hands down the most bullet proof series of thumper mxers. I wouldn't hesitate to pick up any one of them.

Here's something to consider though; The 400/426 has the 5 spd tranny which will come in handy for motard.

• 2 weeks later...

i am also looking into getting a 426 but i heard that they are hard to start is this true with the 400s as well or is there a trick to starting a 426 and or the 400. i will get one and i have been doing alot of searching on these bike and just wondered if anyone else heard of this problem

I snagged a 99 400 because it was $1600 with several extra parts. I am going to get the front forks redone for my bis A$$ & I also purchased the new exh cam which is a 03+ 450f cam that is suppose to eliminate the hard start issues. There is presently a routine you must go through otherwise you will kick FOREVER!!!!

I do agree, after taking a friends rm250 for a spin the yz is a tank! I figure this was a good starter bike (been 14 yrs since I rode offroad last) & in probably 2 yrs get something newer, possibly a 06 450 :banghead:

From what people say, the 98 yz400's are more troublesome then the 99's

& the 2000 yz 426's are more troublesome then the 01-2's

for the 02 426 you bring the starter to the power stroke the you pull in the decompression lever and push the kickstarter down very little maybe an inch then you bring the kickstarter to the top and kick down the bike should start easy you just need to use the decompression lever right

the 2001-2002 426 is bullet proof in my opinion. No woodruff key on either of them and I never had or knew anyone who had gearbox problems.

I raced SM on an 02 WR and fifth gear went out due to the "gear dog meshing problem", so they are not bullet proof.

The 400/426 has great power and can definitely keep up with the 450F.

The main concern is weight. The 450F weighs 15 pounds less than the 400/426.

That 15 pounds feels more like 30. It makes a world of difference.

With hot cams, pipe, all the free mods, open airbox, and a JD jet kit a 450F would still pull my 426. Add U4, porting, and a +2mm piston kit and you will have a chance. :banghead: