My xr675L super motard, new pics!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice bike! wr450 has made way too many jerkoff comments to have any credibility here anyway; just ignore him and he'll leave.

Seems like it... Thanks for the comliments everyone!! About gas mileage, dont really know yet b/c i dont have a speedo. Ill prob get my trail tech in the mail this weekend or early next week but my guess is its gone down a bit. Always being wide open doesnt help either :banghead:. Cant wait to get the bigger tank on, gets old real quick filling up every 75 miles or so. Ill post new pics when I get it. Seems like this thread is getting a little attention. Thanks again!

Zack

Got the wheelss and tires from sum of all parts.com. Their rad wheels, hubs and spokes I believe. 17x3.5 in the front and 17x4.5 in the rear. These are for the 650L's, all you have to do is pick the right spacer (they give you 6 total) and bolt them on. You will loose you speedo drive in the front. Give them a call sometime, ask for Daniel, tell him I sent ya. There good people there, thanks!

Zack

Got the wheelss and tires from sum of all parts.com. Their rad wheels, hubs and spokes I believe. 17x3.5 in the front and 17x4.5 in the rear. These are for the 650L's, all you have to do is pick the right spacer (they give you 6 total) and bolt them on. You will loose you speedo drive in the front. Give them a call sometime, ask for Daniel, tell him I sent ya. There good people there, thanks!

Zack

I have to say it doesn't work for me either. I'll even confess that I've uttered the phrase "super retard" in my mind at times.

I get the concept. I'm sure these bikes are a blast to ride.

However, aesthetically they just look goofy.

I don't know what could be done differently, but I'm waiting patiently for somebody to (re)define Supermoto looks.

I think they need a lot less plastic and a much more stripped down "machine" look.

4Takt

sum of all parts. Sorry, it was .net.

Right now I got the needle that came with it in but I think there is still a little left to play with. Maybe this weekend Ill though the richer needle in and see what happens. I have been having one problem with this carb, its been with the needle and the seat sticking. I took it out and polished the bore where the needle rides in and it was great for a few days and then began sticking again. A few times on the expressway, like its running out of gas. I checked the float level and its easy to see whats happening when you have the float bowl off how it gets stuck. Maybe is it wasnt a gravity feed fuel system, there wouldnt be any problems but o well. Anyone know edelbrock's tech line phone number? Thanks!

Zack

Edelbrock carbs don't work well with oversized tanks. The carb is feed fuel by gravity, oversized tanks have a lower petcock position than stock tanks. When the fuel runs low there is not enough pressure to keep the float full. Keep your tank full and it will work OK. Atleast this has been my experience.

MGS

Other people have added fuel pumps. Personally I don't have the problem, so I haven't looked into it.

For all the supermoto haters, go :banghead: yourselves! SM is the natural evolution of dirt bikes as offroad riding areas are less and less and gas prices are higher and higher.

MGS

Yaa, in NY, HA. Good luck trying to find somewhere to ride, all these yuppie bastards and environmentalists are killing any chances of having fun in my state!!! That is one of the reasons i did this to the bike, couldnt let it sit the way it was, and I hated riding it on trails too so it all works out somehow.

I searched the forum last night and this is about all that was usefull for the"L" bunch hope it helps. If you do try this let me know how it turns out. :applause: Sorry I had to cut and paste, but it works.

:banghead: Quote " I have had my Edelbrock carburetor for about 3 weeks now and the best way I can describe my experience would be “The Good, The Bad and The Ugly”. I waited for this carb for 6 months while it’s availability was delayed. It is a brand new carburetor model (kit part 3117) and while some of the negative may be due to it being a new product, the design is not different from Edelbrock’s other carburetors.

The Good:

Telling the story backwards, the carb is on, set up and works awesome. Even with the stock carburetor modified, (full Dyno-jet kit, “standard mods”….. nearly every reasonable combination) I still wasn’t satisfied that the bike ran as well as it could. There was a flat throttle response off idle, then it would come alive suddenly. Cruising at low throttle opening resulted in surging (a rich condition). Cracking the throttle open quickly at low rpm resulted in a hesitation or bog. Doing the same at higher rpms was better, but you had to wait for the vacuum slide to catch up and deliver the desired acceleration. With the Edelbrock, you get none of the above. Throttle response is very smooth and progressive from idle to wide open. (It requires more grip rotation to get from idle to full throttle) There is no choke or enricher on this carb, and you don’t need one. It seems that the rpm “sweet spot” where the bike makes good power is extended both higher and lower. With the accelerator pump, I’m able to wheelie by cracking the throttle open from a rolling idle, something the stock carb would never do. I’m running the smaller needle 15E, since I have the stock exhaust. It seems just about right, or a tad on the rich side. Installation was beautiful. There are no clearance issues, it clamps to the stock boots without modification or struggle. The throttle cables fit as they should (cable adjustment is at the twist grip end only). As I was installing it, I was thinking that I would never have to take the carb off this bike again… I was wrong.

The Bad:

After installation, I started the tuning process. I was able to make the bike run well, great actually. However, no matter how far I turned the accelerator pump adjustment in, I couldn’t get rid of hesitation when the throttle was snapped open. I assumed the accelerator pump was not working. This was verified by removing the pump linkage and depressing the plunger while the bike was idling… Nothing… After gaining permission from the supplier I purchased the carb from, I pulled my brand new carb off the bike and disassembled it. I found 2 problems related to the accelerator pump. The first was that the inlet check ball for the pump circuit was not seating. It is a small steel ball in the pump bore. I pulled it out and there was no debris. I used a check ball seating method taught to me 20 years ago by a 70 year old mechanic to fix it. Gently tap the ball into the seat with a drift and small hammer, shaping the seat to the contour of the check ball. The second problem was that the cup on the accelerator pump had a hole in the side of it. It was a u shaped hole that if you made it round, it would probably be .050” in diameter, an obvious manufacturing defect. Edelbrock sent me a new plunger assembly, and I got it in just a few days. With the pump fixed, I was back to tuning again which leads us into…

The Ugly:

Ok, so the bike runs great, accelerator pump works, I’m flying down the freeway and suddenly, the bike starts acting like it’s running out of gas. No way, I know I have at least half a tank. So, I back off on the throttle and I’m back in business. Back on the throttle again and she’s sputtering. Over to the slow lane and cruise to work. I assumed I overestimated the amount of gas in the tank, so I top of my Acerbis 5+ gallon tank and it takes 3 gallons. (It usually takes 4.8 gallons when it hits reserve) Everything is good for another few days, then It starts doing it again, and I’m loosing confidence that I can accelerate out of traffic. I’m entertaining thoughts of putting the stock carb back on. Thinking I might have assembled the float bowl incorrectly when I had it apart before, I removed the carb again and took the float bowl off. Everything looked fine, so I thought I would see what the fuel flow into the carb was like. When I held the bowl very low(24” from the top of the fuel level, it filled up very quickly, however when I held it higher, (6” from the top of the fuel level, it barely trickled in. There was not enough fuel pressure to move the needle away from the seat more than just a little. There is my problem!!! Edelbrock is using a horizontal float needle (unlike any other motorcycle carb I‘ve seen), so while gravity pulls the float down, it doesn’t do anything with the needle. It relies on fuel pressure to open. On a gravity feed system there isn’t much pressure at all !!!! I wonder what would happen on a long uphill climb where gravity would actually push the needle back toward the seat??? Now what, do I just live with this and keep the tank full all the time, or do I go back to the stock carb… or ??? The only way I could think of to salvage this installation, was to install an electric fuel pump. Nobody does that, but why not. So I tried it. I picked up a small electric fuel pump at the local auto parts store and found a place next to the top of the rear shock under the seat that it fits into. It weighs about 2 ½ lbs and draws less than 3 amps. Viola, it works perfect. The carb loves it, the float bowl is full all the time, and the tuning is perfectly consistent. All the way up to 95mph so far with the gas just above reserve and no issues.

In conclusion, I am very happy with the performance of this carburetor, and I won’t be going back to the stock unit. I am however, disappointed that I had to go thru all this to get here. I can see that the pump issues may just be a fluke, but the float needle issue is an engineering problem that I have heard addressed before. Not everyone will be able or willing to put a fuel pump on their bike to get around this weakness, nor should they have to.

Thanks for listening. It has been a pleasure sharing my experience with all of you.

Bud " End quote Hope it helps.

A nice article, and it confirms what I have heard about quality control on the early Edelbrock pumpers. I am certainly going to buy one in the very near future, but I plan on using a vacuum operated style fuel pump which is found on almost every carbureted snowmobile as well as gas powered golf carts. These motors have a similar problem, that of getting fuel from the seat tank to the carb bowls, barely downhill if at all and certainly uphill when the sled or cart is climbing. These pumps are tiny, like a box of Altiods, and run off engine vacuum with a single hose. They supply only about 2 lbs of pressure, but are simple to install and really seem perfect for the Edelbrock fuel supply issue.

Wow, that is a lot of info and I really appreciate it!!! I think I did actually read that b4 but never really payed any attention... Do any of you guys know where I could get an electric of vacuum operated fuel pump? Any websites or part numbers?? I would rather have the electric pump, I will browse around the local parts stores and see what I can find. Is there a # to cantact Edelbrock?!? Thanks!

Zack

Here's a different thought. My '04 LTZ400 has a petcock that uses carb vacuum to pull the fuel in either the 'on' or 'res' positions. It's got an extra hose coming out of the petcock that's attached to a vacuum port on the carb. ? It's free-flowing in the 'prime' position.

I don't know if this petcock could be used on an L carb on one of the plugged vacuum ports, but it might be something worth looking into. :banghead: I know Zack's always trying to work a different angle... :applause: