Where to get my forks/shock re-worked?

I'm interested in spending the money to get my forks and shock set up for myself and I'd like some advice. I'm 5'10ish and 195-200lbs. I ride mostly woods (clay, rocks, tree roots), however, I'd like to 3-4 times a year hit the track. I'd rate myself as an accomplished novice to early advanced. What I'd like is something that is plush in the woods as well as progressive for moderate jumping/whoops at the track. My current ride is a 99 WR 400f with bone stock suspension. Ok, lay on the advise! ?

Hey Bryan,

Try MX-Tech. I had talked to Jeremy (the owner) and read his bio at his site and he is very qualified and one great guy. MX-Tech also won the suspension challenge last year with Motocross Action Mag.

I sent mcarp (Mike C) to them and he just raves about the suspension now and he hasn't even started to play with the clickers yet, just put them on and rode.

Send him an email and ask what he thinks. Oh, he's in Vegas for the week, but will be back next week.

Bill

------------------

86TT225, 99WR, WR timing, throttle stop trimmed, air box lid removed, White Bros head pipe, silencer and air filter. De-octopussed. Works frame guards and Thumper Rad Guards, Scotts steering damper. Odometer and headlight removed. Moose hand and mud guards. YZ stock tank, IMS seat and number plate. Renthal Jimmy Button "highs" and Renthal Soft half waffle grips. AMA, SETRA, Happy Ramblers MXC.

Just had MX-Tech revalve my forks and shock in January, along with shortening the suspension 1 inch. I've only been on a couple of ride's so far, but from what I've experienced between the revalve and shortening, it is excellent work. Will be giving the setup a good workout in Tennessee next week and will have a good feel for the suspension then.

------------------

99 WR400

BRC

NOHVA

AMA

i can't say enough about the job that Jeff Howe did for me. he knows the kyb forks inside and out. plus he races a yz himself. my bike rides better than the mx-tech setup i rode on a friends bike and MUCH better than the factory connection job i had on another bike.

all after it was lowered 2 inches

http://www.trakcontrol.com

01yz250f - T14 Texas Championship Hare Scramble Series

[This message has been edited by SUnruh (edited 03-20-2001).]

Bryan,

I see you're in San Diego. I can't say enough about Bob Bell's work out at Precision Concepts in El Cajon. They are out near Gillespie Field. He will do pretty much anything you need for suspension. He has set up countless numbers of Baja 1000 winning bikes. I have had him do the suspension on every bike I've owned and never been dissatisfied with his work. I always take the forks and shock off myself and take them in off the bike. His prices aren't bad and his work is great. Last time I had him put stiffer springs in my YZ400 forks, revalve it and change oil. I had the forks back in 2 days. I told him where I ride and what jumps I do and what tracks I ride and he was familiar with all the areas and how to set my suspension up for the terrain that I ride. He knows most of the local riding area and I'm sure that if you explain to him where you ride and what you do he'll be able to set you up really good.

Khris

------------------

When in doubt, GAS IT!

Ditto on MX-Tech. There might be other suspension shops who do just as good, or better work, but all I have is stock for comparison. One of my racing buddies likes RG3.

My experience with MX-Tech was quite unusual in that after talking to Jeremy Wilkey on the phone and making the decision to go with him, I boxed my suspension up and UPS'd them to him. He did the work and sent it back to me in about a week. It then dawned on me that there was no bill! I called him back and inquired about my debt and that there was no bill in the return crate. Jeremy told me that he felt comfortable after talking to me and that I was trustworthy. Who does business like that these days? Maybe he just has a good instinct for character?.. ?

[This message has been edited by Boit (edited 03-21-2001).]

I had ENZO do my 99, and my 00 yz and love it! Had them set it for expert trail and int. moto, and it works very good in both. The harder you ride it, the better it sticks, tracks and soaks up the world!

Brian-

Yep, John Curea at MX-TECH/East did the trick for me. I wanted just what you want. Plusher suspension in the nasties, more progressive bottoming resistance over MX jumps and fast trail hits. I only had the front /rebuilt revalved and the rear rebuilt.

After 4 rides (all without my usual Scotts damper because the damn bracket is loose) on both woods trails (clay, mud, logs, roots, small rocks) and medium duty MX), I am VERY happy with the changes.

It's hard to describe, but suffice to say I feel more confident attacking obstacles than before. This was the the first few rides in 3 months due to weather so usually there's a slight learning curve, yet I rode faster than ever before and even passed a few riders instead of getting roosted. WITHOUT THE DAMPER!!!

I am especially impressed with how the bike feels in turns with S12. The front end doesn't pack and "push" anymore.

Also, the bike feels 20lbs lighter in turns and braking--No Kidding!!