what should I pay for a 03wr450 street legal in nice shape

Four grand or so. Make sure the previous owner had the woodruff key looked at and ask if he upgraded the starter on the bike, some 03s had these two problems, not a big deal if they've been addressed. I would stay away from used WRs that have a lot of street miles on them, the 5th gears in these bikes really don't like the abuse of hard street miles.. Kick the tires too.. (kidding)

Are the Woodruff Key and Starter warranty /recall type deals?

(I should probably do a search)

They absolutely should have been, but no they were not.. My dealer took care of my starter that failed (03WR450) because I do a lot of business with him but the woodruff key is a 2hr job. I had the Yamaha mechanic tap the flywheel nut with an air wrench from day one, I never had a problem.. Maybe I got lucky...

Dan :D

The Street plate is worth an extra $500. I would say if it's clean he could get minimum $4500. If it has a full dual sport kit and other extras $4k would be a steal!

I don't know about that. It cost me less than $300 to street legalize mine, and I went all out: Keyed ignition, turn signals, horn, and dual hydrallic brake switches. The only thing I didn't purchase was a mirror pearch and a mirror (together, they would be less than $40). The only thing required in my state is working head lamp, tail lamp, and brake light. The rest is just to make me feel safer.

http://www.kbb.com (Kelly Blue Book) values that bike at: $2,835 trade-in, and $4,130 retail. I would never pay someone the retail value from www.kbb.com unless that thing was emaculate, blessed by the Dali Lama, and came with a hot motorcross babe to ride with. The "retail" price is how much you can except to be gouged for, by the dealer. Remember, if they bring the bike to do a trade-in, they're only going to get $2,835 for it, unless they give the dealer a hot motorcross babe and the blessing too. :banghead: