XR fork oil

Changed the stock crap out today, just as has been written here before, the "oil" had turned to thick gooey sludge and there was some dime sized corrosion spots on the thin damper piston tube. (towards the top 1/3 so I think I'm OK). Took awhile to get the old stuff out it was so deteriorated. This is on a 2004 bike with less than 700 miles on it. If you have a XR-650 and have not changed the factory fork oil you are wrong! I used AMSOIL medium weight suspension fluid and the forks seem much more plush.

OK, I am going to ask a silly question. I do have a manual, I just haven't looked at it yet. How hard is it to change the fork oil. I would like to change the oil, and while I am at it, the springs, and possibly make the forks right for my weight (240). I am a recreational rider. I am fairly technically inclined, I can adjust the valves, change brakes, etc, however, I would be intimidated by motor internals. Can I do it? I have seen some very informative site links sponsored by members on this site, but am a little apprehensive about opening up the fork tubes and totally screwing them up.

What do you think?

Babbs

Go for it! The hardest part of just changing out oil and springs is getting them off of the bike and that is no big deal. Once you open them up and see what it is all about then you will realize that it is not rocket science. Completely breaking them down requires a couple of special tools etc. but to do what you mentioned is no problem especially if you have a manual to consult as a last resort :D

Its easy to change the fork oil.

Pull the forks out of the triple clamp, open up the top cap, and let it drain. Then refil it with whatever oil your going to use, but make sure you have the right level (it will say in the book).

I was respringing mine when I changed it so I took it all apart and "pumped" the old oil out. This was after owning it for about a month and a half, so no whale snot for me :D

Its easy to change the fork oil.

Pull the forks out of the triple clamp, open up the top cap, and let it drain. Then refil it with whatever oil your going to use, but make sure you have the right level (it will say in the book).

I hate to be the only loser with out a manual :D

So could someone please tell me what the correct level is for a 01xr650l? :D