Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
donald56

new flywheel or recluse clutch

8 posts in this topic

Would like to know which one would cure the problem of the bike stalling out at low speeds.Since a flywheel is so much cheeper than the clutch is it very expensive to replace the flywheel.

You can spend less than $200.00 on a flywheel weight. Good fix. Of course everybody says the Rekluse is awesome.. Your call.

I really love my recluse clutch. For hill climbing and tight technical sections it will better serve you than just a heavier flywheel. One thing, however, you should be aware of is that the auto clutch requires continual adjustment which is not too hard but requires swapping pressure plates occassionally to get to the proper gap. Other than that, it definately has made me a better rider. Get the perch adjuster because it makes it easier to find neutral.

Good luck.

get the pilot circuit jetted correctly and the stalling will disappear regardless of the flywheel wieght...stock pilot is a 42. A 40 and a 45 are a total of about 12 bucks. Take half a day and get it right and you'll never be happier...

Rekluse = Stall Proof (if adjusted right)

Flywheel = Stall Resistant

I have a Rekluse and love it. It's done wonders for my endurance and increases the "fun factor" in tight/techincal terrain by leaps and bounds. That being said, I also just got an 8 oz GYTR flywheel to help smooth out the power a bit too. I probably wouldn't have got the flywheel, but I found a good deal on ebay and snatched it up. I'm anxious to see what difference it makes.

Would like to know which one would cure the problem of the bike stalling out at low speeds.Since a flywheel is so much cheeper than the clutch is it very expensive to replace the flywheel.

It would be like wanting more power and asking if you should try a bolt-on pipe, or rebuilding the motor with all high performance parts and a complete exhaust swap. Get the flywheel first and see if that does the trick. It only costs $100 and will take you 10 minutes. It's been years since I tried the Recluse (Gen 1) and I've heard they have improved greatly. I burned up clutches, had constant problems with screws backing out, or freezing, constantly needing to make adjustments and it still stalled about 1/2 as often. This meant I had to kick start it more, since I could no longer bump start it, which I do over half the time I stall my 450 now. I know they are working on a system that can make the bike capable of bump starting, but I don't know if it's ready yet, or how much more it will increase the cost. When it was working well, I loved it. But there were several races that it worked great for the first 1 1/2 hours of the race, and would get out of tolerance and start burning the clutch in the last 30 minutes of the race. I ended up sending mine back after trying many fixes, but like I said, I have heard they are much better now, and most riders seem to really like them. Pros and Experts seem to be a lot harder on them also. The installation will take you at least a couple hours (unless you can find someone who has done it, because once you know how it only takes about an hour). I'd get the weight, if that doesn't work, then try an auto-clutch.

So you are the guy who bought my flywheel about a week and half ago on ebay? My bike almost electric with that flywheel. Less stalling than my buddies stock CRF450.

Rekluse = Stall Proof (if adjusted right)

Flywheel = Stall Resistant

I have a Rekluse and love it. It's done wonders for my endurance and increases the "fun factor" in tight/techincal terrain by leaps and bounds. That being said, I also just got an 8 oz GYTR flywheel to help smooth out the power a bit too. I probably wouldn't have got the flywheel, but I found a good deal on ebay and snatched it up. I'm anxious to see what difference it makes.