Impact wrench question

Bought an impact wrench to easily get a Flywheel off my Honda crf250r. I am kind of a newbie mechanic, never used an impact wrench before. Worked great! Way easier than trying to hold the flywheel still while trying to muscle off the flywheel nut.

Anyway, I bought a Crapsman (I mean craftsman) 3/8 drive impact wrench. Why? Because it was cheap and did not think I would be using it that often.

I cranled up my Porter Cable do it yourselfer pancacke style 135 psi compressor. When it got up the wrenches recommened 90 psi I turned it off. I noticed what while not using the wrench there was a hissing coming from it and it turns out is leaking air slowly. Came back out after eating and the compressor was emty down to zero. Is an impact wrench supposed to slowly release air as some kind of safety measure or did I get what a paid for - a crappy impact wrench?

Shouldnt leak, have you run a little bit of oil through the motor? Should be oiled when new and periodically. The oil will help to seal the o-ring on the trigger. But make sure you get air motor oil, same place you got the pistol from. Is it the IR composite ones? IR or Ingersoll Rand makes some of the best stuff out there right now!

Bought an impact wrench to easily get a Flywheel off my Honda crf250r. I am kind of a newbie mechanic, never used an impact wrench before. Worked great! Way easier than trying to hold the flywheel still while trying to muscle off the flywheel nut.

Anyway, I bought a Crapsman (I mean craftsman) 3/8 drive impact wrench. Why? Because it was cheap and did not think I would be using it that often.

I cranled up my Porter Cable do it yourselfer pancacke style 135 psi compressor. When it got up the wrenches recommened 90 psi I turned it off. I noticed what while not using the wrench there was a hissing coming from it and it turns out is leaking air slowly. Came back out after eating and the compressor was emty down to zero. Is an impact wrench supposed to slowly release air as some kind of safety measure or did I get what a paid for - a crappy impact wrench?

There is no reason to manually turn off your air compressor, even though your wrench says 90 psi. You have to account for line loss. The longer the hose the more line loss you will have. So the pressure gauge might read 135 but the hose pressure could be 20 psi or more less.

It should not leak, I would take it back. You can safely run air tools at the max. pressure your compressor will produce and get way more power from it. I am a professional mechanic and we run 175psi shop air.

DITTO

Shouldn't leak and run max psi.

Shouldnt leak, have you run a little bit of oil through the motor? Should be oiled when new and periodically. The oil will help to seal the o-ring on the trigger. But make sure you get air motor oil, same place you got the pistol from. Is it the IR composite ones? IR or Ingersoll Rand makes some of the best stuff out there right now!

Anyway, I bought a Crapsman (I mean craftsman) 3/8 drive impact wrench.

And ya,, they may leak a bit,, the seal on the trigger and or motor vains,, is never a compleate seal.

better guns.. Yes, mid priced ones,, on a good day, if your lucky.

Did you also buy sockets designed for an impact wrench? Standard sockets (even the good Craftsman ones) can shatter when used with an impact wrench. Some of them just crack while others can actually explode! I've been hit with a few pieces and they hurt. If they'd hit a vital part like an eye, you could be in a world of hurt! Yes they're expensive, but spend the money for real impact sockets in the sizes that you use all the time.

Cheers,

Mac

You have to account for line loss. The longer the hose the more line loss you will have. So the pressure gauge might read 135 but the hose pressure could be 20 psi or more less.

This maybe true when you are using the tool if you don't have a large enough air line, but if you don't unplug the tool every time you stop then you have 135 psi or whatever your compressor is set at. You should use a regulator.

I don't think it should leak either. Oil gun with reccomended oil. Check air fittings/coupler for leaks. If it's actually leaking out the gun you can normally hear it comming through the exhaust side of it or around the trigger. Soapy water can help detect where it's coming from. If it leaks return it.

Did you also buy sockets designed for an impact wrench? Standard sockets (even the good Craftsman ones) can shatter when used with an impact wrench.

MotoMac, you mean "chrome impact sockets", thats what we call them. :D I'm commisioned at work (flat rate) and I use whatever I have to get the job done. :D But yes, impact is the way to go, a chrome one can come apart, and if you have a habit of holding the socket end with one had, and it comes apart, expect a trip to the hospital. :D

...How the heck do I "lube my unit". :D

Get your air motor oil and tip the pistol upsidedown, squeeze in a little bit on the air inlet, then run it a few times, wipe excess off. Also, if you put these away for a long period of time (and most no commercial operators fit under this category) run some oil in it and blip it once, wipe down and put away. If you put a gun away for a long period of time after using it, it could rust some motor parts inside if its not oiled. Rule of thumb, oil daily is what they say, oil when you put it away al so.

MotoMac, you mean "chrome impact sockets", thats what we call them. :D I'm commisioned at work (flat rate) and I use whatever I have to get the job done. :D But yes, impact is the way to go, a chrome one can come apart, and if you have a habit of holding the socket end with one had, and it comes apart, expect a trip to the hospital. :D

Good point. After the first Craftsman socket semi-exploded, I thought it was just a weak one and was just a fluke. When another one let go on a different job, I started checking around. Now it's the dull-colored genuine impact sockets for me. If I see someone else using a chrome socket with an air gun, I just move away...

Cheers,

Mac