YZ400f

This is my first post here. I was wondering what are some of the (if any) common problems with the 1999 yz400f. I currently own a yamaha warrior and atv's are getting kind of boring to me. I have prevously ridden dirt bikes so there is no problem. Thanks :D

i heard they have bad clutches and you have to take off the header to get to the oil filter other than that theyre awesome and you should check the valves if the previos owner didn't

i heard they have bad clutches and you have to take off the header to get to the oil filter other than that theyre awesome and you should check the valves if the previos owner didn't

The '01 426F was the bike with a "faulty" clutch that required a fix.

Check the valves to make sure they're in spec, as this is most important. You can learn to do it yourself with some feeler gauges and directions from the FAQ.

http://www.thumperfaq.com

If not, take it down to your dealer and have them do a service/inspection.

The '01 426F was the bike with a "faulty" clutch that required a fix.

No, it was the 2000 426F.

Everyone seems to think the YZ400F's are good bikes with few problems.

YZLEE is right, it was the 2000 that had some clutch issues. As far as the 400 goes, it was a very reliable bike. I can't recall reading about any major issues with it. I'd say if you can pick one up for the right price, get it and have fun riding. :D Just change the oil and filters regularly and it should last you a long time.

I just purchased a 99 about 2 months ago, so far so good!

I have been told if the bike is difficult to start that the valves could need to be adjusted. However these are known to be a PITA to start anyways :D However after you get the routine down, it's not bad at all!

I also just ordered a 03 yz450f exh cam for my bike which is suppose to make them EASY to start, time will tell!!

Oil chage every 10 hrs of use

& that's about it

My front forks need redone & that's probably due to my weight :D