HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
4Takt

How does this plug look to you

39 posts in this topic

After 30 hours off road. Is it running too lean or just right?

109986760.jpg

Thanks for looking,

4Takt

According to your link, almost no discoloration of the porcelain part and no metal particles = just right, no?

Trying to learn here.

4Takt

According to your link, almost no discoloration of the porcelain part and no metal particles = just right, no?

Trying to learn here.

4Takt

"If the color of the side electrode changes color near where it's welded to the base ring, then your spark plug is too hot"

This is what I read from the info.

"If the color of the side electrode changes color near where it's welded to the base ring, then your spark plug is too hot"

This is what I read from the info.

Does this refer to the spark plug or the jetting?

It's the stock plug the bike came with. Are you saying I need a different plug or a larger main jet?

4Takt

Does this refer to the spark plug or the jetting?

It's the stock plug the bike came with. Are you saying I need a different plug or a larger main jet?

4Takt

What bike are you riding?

What bike are you riding?

An XR650R, 4 months old, uncorked (open intake manifold, drilled out stock exhaust , removed airbox restrictions, 68s pilot jet, 168 main jet, sea level).

4Takt

Ur plug looks good. here's a good spark plug quote, "They should look a light chocolate brown in color. If , black and sooty the engine is running too rich in the fuel departement or too cold of spark plug. If black and shiny (oily) they are oil fouled. If they are whitish you are running too lean a fuel mixture and/or wrong ignition timing or too hot of spark plug. When you see this, your engine is about to blow up!!!"

http://www.dansmc.com/sparkplugs1.htm

An XR650R, 4 months old, uncorked (open intake manifold, drilled out stock exhaust , removed airbox restrictions, 68s pilot jet, 168 main jet, sea level).

4Takt

Needle position?

Ur plug looks good. here's a good spark plug quote, "They should look a light chocolate brown in color. If , black and sooty the engine is running too rich in the fuel departement or too cold of spark plug. If black and shiny (oily) they are oil fouled. If they are whitish you are running too lean a fuel mixture and/or wrong ignition timing or too hot of spark plug. When you see this, your engine is about to blow up!!!"

http://www.dansmc.com/sparkplugs1.htm

How's mine look?

23002436-L.jpg

Needle position?

Right in the middle. Neglected to say it's the "competition needle", not the stock one (forgot the number code).

4Takt

"If , black and sooty the engine is running too rich in the fuel departement or too cold of spark plug."

"If , black and sooty the engine is running too rich in the fuel departement or too cold of spark plug."

What are you referring to? My pic?

My plug's black only on the metal thread body, are you saying it's too rich/hot? :D

Is there anybody here who actually understands this matter, or is everybody just guessing along? :D

4Takt

Interesting.

Right in the middle. Neglected to say it's the "competition needle", not the stock one (forgot the number code).

4Takt

Cool. We call that the No. 3 position. Sorry to be such a pain in the ass but what is the plug No?

What in my pic are you referring to?

4Takt

When u get a new plug, the cap is white, that's what i'm referring to.

Cool. We call that the No. 3 position. Sorry to be such a pain in the ass but what is the plug No?

You're not a pain, I appreciate the help.

It's whatever comes stock, I'll have to check it tomorrow.

4Takt