Canuck wr426f

I bought a Canadian '01 WR426F. It doesn't have anything removable in the exhaust! Impossible to take plug out! Any suggestions?

The Canadian models do not have a spark arrestor, thus they are a sealed muffler. Want more open exhaust, then a new pipe I think is the only way. Also there is no throttle limiter on the Canadian models. Where are you at in Canada?

Some people have drilled a bunch of holes in the back of the muffler (in a circle around the existing hole). I haven't, I bought an aftermarket pipe. You might look around for a stock YZ pipe, as (unlike the WR's) they are like the U.S. ones. Where in Canada are you anyway?

Wow Dave B., you must have just hit the Submit button just before me. Great minds think alike...

I too have a Canadian model and the stock pipe is pretty much a throw away unless you are real good with oxy-acet welding and can do some exploritory surgury to open up the obvious restriction.

I ended up purchasing a White Bros. e-series, pro-meg pipe. Well worth the money. Essentially, bolt on performance. Don't forget to be careful pulling out the lead sleeve in the stock pipe connection to fit into the new pipe. It seems to be delicate and wants to flake apart. Go slow and good luck.

Armpumped

Why would any one want to drill holes in the stock canadian WR pipe. Not only is it quite enough to not piss people off when riding in sensitive areas the power that you would gain is insignificant. Maybe climbing Oldsmobile hill in glamis CA. you could pull another half a bike length on a souped up banshie, but why? Last week end I put together an ice race team for a local six hour race. We used my completly stock 2000 WR400 with air box baffel installed, and stock pipe. We raced against heavily modified YZ426s (they have a stupid rule now over and under 395CC classes). The 426s were louad enough to make your ears bleed,(Maybe not as load as some of the quads and 2 smokes) but on the long start finsh straight (90MPH)a modified 426 would maybe pull a bike length if that. The WR was so quite most guys would not even hear me as I blew by. It was great!

Why would you want to make your bike sound like a chopper for minimum HP gain! I highly doubt that there are many of us out there that need the extra HP, it not like we are riding XR250s. If you ride on public land keep your bike quite, the extra power is not worth the negative impact on non-riders.

Rob C:

Glad to see your comments....thought I was the only guy running the stock pipe on my 99 WR...less sound = more ground,,,old but true....

Paul

99WR400--bone stock..and lots of fun!!!!

If i were to modify a stock Canadian pipe i would probably just blast a hole saw into the back of it. Seend some guys do that to drz400's with good effects.

The Canadian silencer is a spark arrester and has more flow than a US silencer

with the end cap on. You won't get any big increases going to an after market without getting louder and any increases will only be on the top end.

I have an FMF silencer and although I do find an increase in top end power (very minamal) It really wasn't that usable in the woods. I just shift a little earlier.

It would help on an MX track but then you may as well have a yz.

If it's more power you want, advance the timming one tooth to YZ spec.

The Canadian silencer is a spark arrester and has more flow than a US silencer

with the end cap on. You won't get any big increases going to an after market without getting louder and any increases will only be on the top end.

I have an FMF silencer and although I do find an increase in top end power (very minamal) It really wasn't that usable in the woods so I went back to stock for noise issues. I just shift a little earlier.

It would help on an MX track but then you may as well have a yz.

If it's more power you want, advance the timming one tooth to YZ spec.

The '01 Canadian muffler is a true muffler with no spark arrestor and no removable parts. I was one of the guys who modified it to accept a Honda XR400 spark arrestor. Not nearly as loud as the YZf's and it really let the engine perform to it's potential. I agree that less sound = more ground , but this mod didn't make the bike any louder than a TTR250.The scanned image is a cross section of the YZf (top) the U.S. WR muffler with spark arrestor (middle) and the Canadian version ( bottom). PM me with your e-mail address if you want pics and details of the muffler mod for the early version Canadian mufflers. WR Dave. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v234/WR_Dave/canadianpipe.jpg