HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
800screws

part numbers and what size heli coil?

6 posts in this topic

well, i did it. stripped the brass bolt for the decomp plug. the tt plug has a slow leak so i need to order a new seal and the brass bolt. anyone have the part numbers for these, i couldn't find them on ronnies.com. also what size helicoil do u need to repair the threads for the brass bolt. thanks

well, i did it. stripped the brass bolt for the decomp plug. the tt plug has a slow leak so i need to order a new seal and the brass bolt. anyone have the part numbers for these, i couldn't find them on ronnies.com. also what size helicoil do u need to repair the threads for the brass bolt. thanks

I make the decomp plugs for TT and they are covered 100%. If you'll PM me with your mailing address I'll get a new seal on the way asap. The Heli-coil is a 6mm x 1.00 the Heli-coil kit number is 35060 (M6X1) and will run you about $36 from McMaster Carr. The kit comes with a dozen or so inserts and is a popular size.

The screw only gets tightened to 5 ft/lbs, and a drop of red Loctite ain't a bad idea.

The screw is steel, not brass.

The mistake commonly made using these plugs, aside from simply overtorquing the lock bolt, is to fail to be sure that the retention groove in the plug is aligned with the bolt hole. If it's out of line (plug in too far or not far enough), the bolt will have no more than two threads in contact when you start to tighten it, and will strip those for sure. You should be able to run the bolt in until it seats against the washer with only your fingers.

that's what i did!! do u have the part number for the bolt? is it common bolt to replace or do i have to order one from the dealer?

The bolt is steel and the stripped threads are aluminum, your bolt should be fine. The stock bolt has the first few threads machined off, that is the "pin" part of the bolt that engages the retention groove of the plug, not stripped off threads.

Go to BikeBandit.com and you can look up the part/s, they have pretty good prices on OEM stuff too.