HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
blue_beast_wins

05 WR owners

13 posts in this topic

Is there any problems with these bikes, my brother is getting back into riding, his last bike was an 02 426, is the 05 the go or should he wait untill 06 ? are the gear boxes still breaking on the later bikes ?

Thanks in advance,

Steve.

05's are very refined. Problems appear to have been fixed. Someone posted that the only changes to 06 are enduro computer and revised swingarm. I suspect he can get a significantly better deal on 05.

Get the 05. No significant changes from 05 to 06 and you should be able to get MUCH better pricing on an 05. The old problems you mentioned were fixed some time ago.

I love my 05, I was in the same boat deciding between an 05 and an 06. this is what Yamaha lists as new for 06 so if he sees something he can't live without then get the 05. I figured I would get an 05 and with the money saved get exhaust and do the freemods and get it dialed in.

New for 2006:

New enduro computer is trick and easy to use.

New, two-position handlebar clamps give the aluminum Renthal bar 10mm of adjustment range.

New compression circuitry in 48mm forks absorbs even the tiniest bumps better than ever.

New seat foam provides more comfort.

New reinforced swingarm provides precise handling and tracking.

Is there any problems with these bikes, my brother is getting back into riding, his last bike was an 02 426, is the 05 the go or should he wait untill 06 ? are the gear boxes still breaking on the later bikes ?

Thanks in advance,

Steve.

Problem I know of, and don't think has been addressed on the 06.

Starter and kill switch's are FLIMSY, upgrade to the KTM or Suzuki single round, red button, or buy the ones made by MOOSE.

:D

The new 06 models now have a speedometer/computer up front. It tells speed, clock, 2 tripmeters, and tire diameter correction. Timer, and you can switch it to race mode so it can calculate average speed. Did I meantion they come standard with the Instawheelie feature. Oh wait thats all WR's

I love my '05. Bought it 4-5 months ago and since have put about 750 miles on it without a single problem yet. I do keep good care of it though. Frequent oil changes, keeping the coolant topped off, frequently checking the nuts and bolts, making sure that everything is in tune. So far I have not had one single concern or complaint about problems. My only complaint was the AIS kit they put on out of box to meet the CA standards and the throttle screw. But the bikes mechanical reliability is awesome.

i'd say he should go with the '05, and take the money he saves and spend it on upgrades. i haven't had a single problem with my bike yet. had mine for just over a month now and put on almost 700km's. all i've done is just regular upkeep(oil, air filter, chain, etc.). it's been good to me so far, no complaints here.

A few minor adjustments will make the '05 WR450F the kick assinest bike you could want:

YZ throttle stop (part # 5JG-14591-00-00).

TT AIS removal kit (34 smackers at the TT store).

These minor goodies will make the WR run like a raped ape. MXJunky has had his Dub for a couple months and has only a few dozen miles on her, but the grin factor compared to the overweight DRZ MXJunky just got off of is enormous. (MXJunky also has an E2 exhaust and JD jet kit installed.)