Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
djo269

Hardest hitting mx bike thus far?

29 posts in this topic

Would you say the 03' yz450f is the hardest hitting motocross bike made so far to this day? With the most untractable, raw power? :D

i rode an 04 and an 05 honda 450 at lacr friday and cant believe how much more my bike had than those .i also rode a buddys 03 sx 525 that didnt hit like mine.ive got a big gun pipe and yz 250 filter cage in mine and the power just amazes me.i cant imagine anything with more hit.

Would you say the 03' yz450f is the hardest hitting motocross bike made so far to this day? With the most untractable, raw power? :D

Only if you ignore every 500 two stroke ever made! :D

--KT--

Only if you ignore every 500 two stroke ever made! :D

--KT--

lol, indeed! Must be the younger generation (they made 500cc motocross bike??? :D ) :D

lol, indeed! Must be the younger generation (they made 500cc motocross bike??? :D ) :D
:D The '03 450 is close, but not that close. Before I bought mine, even the 426 guys were saying, "No, those are uncontrollable. They're like a big two-stroke, or something." The reason I found that hard to believe is that I had ridden many a high powered four-stroke in my past, and this is the bike I had at the the time:

http://members.cox.net/oldernyzer/CR500R-1s.jpg

It was alternately known as "The Beast", and "BFH". For a while, it had '666' on the number plates. It was a lot like a Top Fuel Roto-Tiller. From experience, I'd say you could jump it flat, and back flip it in the air, just by gassing it. Dyno'ed at almost 71 horsepower with the PC pipe on it. Thrilling.

I don't know if there's "that much difference", but there is some. But the '03 can be made fairly civil with just 5-6oz more flywheel weight.

I've had CR 500s, KX 500s, YZ 490s, a WR-500 (yea I know, it was just another 490) and even a Cagiva WMX 500. I've also had a bunch of 4 strokes, the biggest being a 650 and I've had a 03 YZ 450f and currently have a 05 YZ 450f. The hardest hitting bike I've ever had was my 85 CR-500. Newer Cr 500s actually had a semi-port cut above the the exhaust port to reduce compression. My 450s are not even close, but I sure like them a lot better. It's been a year since I had my 03, and I've been on a YZ 250 since then, so I don't have a back to back comparison between my 03 and 05, but they seem pretty much the same to me. The 05 seems to chug down a little lower, start picking up power a little sooner and better, maybe not hit quite as hard in the middle, but pretty much the same. I'd like to see a Dyno of the 05 (I can find 03 dynos all over the net). I'd be willing to bet there isn't a 2 h/p differance anywhere on the curve.

I've had CR 500s, KX 500s, YZ 490s, a WR-500 (yea I know, it was just another 490) and even a Cagiva WMX 500. I've also had a bunch of 4 strokes, the biggest being a 650 and I've had a 03 YZ 450f and currently have a 05 YZ 450f. The hardest hitting bike I've ever had was my 85 CR-500. Newer Cr 500s actually had a semi-port cut above the the exhaust port to reduce compression. My 450s are not even close, but I sure like them a lot better. .

There is your answer.

I had an rm 500 and a can am 500 and an IT 490. I have rode KX 500's as well but that initial hit from my 450 is harder on my hands and fore arms than the 2 strokes. Different power all together but yes the 500 2 strokes make power that makes you giggle deep down. Almost arousing. OOOPS, did I say that out loud.

If you haven't ridden a 2005 KX250, you do not know what hard hitting is. That things is very hard hitting. :D

No modern four stroke hits like a 500 two stroke.

Anybody remember reading in Dirt Rider about a company that was manufacturing a 750cc two stroke? I remember reading this a few years back and this post just brought it to mind. A 500 is too much already, I can't imagine what that thing is like! Scary!

No modern four stroke hits like a 500 two stroke.

Anybody remember reading in Dirt Rider about a company that was manufacturing a 750cc two stroke? I remember reading this a few years back and this post just brought it to mind. A 500 is too much already, I can't imagine what that thing is like! Scary!

ATK is that company and 685cc is the displacement. :D

Production bike, yes, but not overall. The CR500AF jumps 18 horsepower at 1500 RPM. :D

Not sure why you guys are always thinking the 03 450 is like a 2-stroke, I just got a 03 YZ and it is not that bad, I don't want a flywheel weight or anything like that, and I just came off a '02 YZ250F. I thought the 450 felt just like my 250f, just with more power. Hell, at Red Bud this weekend, I had the damn thing pulled to the stops all the time on Friday practice and it wasn't enough in the early (in other words, a foot deep of wet sand and dirt) practices! I was yearning for a CR500 during those, it would have been awesome!!

My CR250 hit hard, the Husky WXE360 (350 2 stroke) hit even harder, but not quite like my WR450 (maybe it was because the WXE was 13 years old). I can imagine a 500 2 stroke must really kick a$$.

I heard the 1984 CR500's hit like no other bike. I rode one once and it was either 55hp on or off. Pretty fun!