HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dezertrider5

16 or 17 tooth for yz450f

9 posts in this topic

I was looking thru the internet and found out that thay sell 16 and 17 tooth front sprockets for the yz450.Has anyone ever tryed the 16 or 17 tooth sprockets,I mainly ride desert so I think this sprocket might help what do you guys think.

I also have a 450 set up for desert, and I only use a 15 counter with 48 rear. This set up is plenty fast, I did a GPS test and got it to 86 mph. How fast do you want to go anyway? Russ Pearson who leads national hare & hound runs that gearing, and on really fast stuff try a 15/45 combo. BTW...the case savers only work with a 15 front.

I have a friend who uses 15/42 and says that he tested almost every sprocket combo(except the 16 or 17)availabe and said that 15/42 gives you the best top speed without loosing bottom or midrange power.

A 16 will require some notching of the chain slider. A 17 might require notching the swing arm. Either will need a custom case saver.

If the 450 is anything like my 426, it will be difficult to get anything bigger than a 15 on it. When I installed a 15, I had to remove the case saver and it was still a tight fit. You might get one on but it will likely take some modification. I tried 15/42 and it does give you quite a bit more top end buy it will compermise the bottom end a bit.

If the 450 is anything like my 426, it will be difficult to get anything bigger than a 15 on it. When I installed a 15, I had to remove the case saver and it was still a tight fit.
I run a 15, and I also found the case saver had to come off to install it, although the same case saver does go back on and clears the chain.

i run 16/42. yep had to remove the case saver, and the chain knotched the swingarm guard. works great though, i happy with it for motard use.