mods for 04 yz450

I was wondering what are the best mods to put on my 04 yz450. I know suspension is a big one but who should i send it out to, i ride all types of terrain so i would assume it would be hard to tune in the suspension for my needs.

Other things i was thinking about were the lowered radiators and maybe a new water pump and impeller (ive noticed some overheating in the woods when im moving real slow, plus the lowered center of gravity).

Now i know my bike has way more power than i can ever take full advantage of but what mods can i put on it to get more power. what would give the biggest bang for the buck value - cams, exhaust, head porting, or other. I would like an increase in power across the board but if i had to give up some bottom for a bigger increase in top that would be acceptable and vice versa.

Thanks for any advice it is all greatly appriciated.

FYI, my only mods are universal oversized bar mounts and protapers.

If you ride tight/technical terrain very much you may want to consider a heavier and/or Rekluse auto clutch. The '04 has a heavier flywheel than the '03 but it could still stand to be a bit heavier to keep from stalling in tight stuff. You may also look into a gearing change.

I have the same bike and would like to say, don't touch the motor, more power won't make you faster. here is a list of mods I have done, hope they help.

Run a high boiling point coolant, and add some water wetter to it and you'll be fine.

Rekluse auto clutch w/ perch adjuster (this thing rocks)

Zipty 10 oz flywheel

Power now

Uni filter

Drop the needle one position in hot weather.

G2 ergonomics throttle cam system, you will be faster in turns with this (it's not a gimmick)

stock pipe w/ PMB end cap and quite insert

15/48 gearing for desert, 14/48 tight and technical only.

ESP suspension re-valved for desert, and a bunch of other stuff.

Remember stock motors last the longest, and even the top pro offroad guys like Ty Davis and Russ Pearson leave their motors stock.

I have the Fastway F3's footpegs which I love very much. I have pro-taper oversized bars and mounts which is nice but I dont care for the bend that much. Twinair air filters work nicely. You will need new sprockets and chain soon, I have Renthals. MODS really depend on your preferences and type of riding you do. Enjoy! :D

I like the DR.D slip-on exhaust with the stock header. It improves throttle response and spreads out the power a bit.

Thanks for all the advice so far, but I do have some more questions. Is a steering stabilizer worth the money(my riding is all types of terrain). Also, i know i already asked but i cant help but be interested in the lowered radiators that are supposed to lower center of gravity and increase coolant capacity, i didnt know if it was all marketing or do these things really work. And my last question is what is a G2 ergonomics throttle cam system, ive never heard of it before.

Thanks again for everyones help.

Thanks for all the advice so far, but I do have some more questions. Is a steering stabilizer worth the money(my riding is all types of terrain). Also, i know i already asked but i cant help but be interested in the lowered radiators that are supposed to lower center of gravity and increase coolant capacity, i didnt know if it was all marketing or do these things really work. And my last question is what is a G2 ergonomics throttle cam system, ive never heard of it before.

About the lowered radiators, I don't think they have been out long enough for anyone to try yet. I have asked this question and no one seems to give any feedback. I am curious about them as well, for the price they had better work really well. I have never overheated my bike so that is not a concern of mine- I do like the idea of having a lower center of gravity. :D

Yes to the stabilizer, I like the Scotts for its versatility, and they really work.

G2 ergonomics web site; G2 ergo.com If you buy directly from Sam the owner he will give a money back guarantee.

I was wondering what are the best mods to put on my 04 yz450. I know suspension is a big one but who should i send it out to, i ride all types of terrain so i would assume it would be hard to tune in the suspension for my needs.

No, it shouldn't be that hard. Send it to Enzo Racing, and they will do an interview with you to see what needs to be done. They are the most respected, and experienced tuners of Kayaba suspension components....you will LOVE it after they're done.

Other things i was thinking about were the lowered radiators and maybe a new water pump and impeller (ive noticed some overheating in the woods when im moving real slow, plus the lowered center of gravity).

PWR is owned and operated by Clint Barry, a former Team Chaparral mechanic. He has since branched off and started his own radiator company that is getting excellent reviews (most currently the August and September issues of MXA). They are lowered, oversized and ultra-thick. Get them For $400...you will not regret it, as you wont be overheating anymore, and if your good enough...you'll notice an increase in handling. Boyesen makes the best water pumps/impellers bar none. No one will disagree. Also, use Engine Ice or Redline's Water Wetter. They are "SuperCoolant" and will lower engine temp's by as much as 20 degrees F.

Now i know my bike has way more power than i can ever take full advantage of but what mods can i put on it to get more power. what would give the biggest bang for the buck value - cams, exhaust, head porting, or other. I would like an increase in power across the board but if i had to give up some bottom for a bigger increase in top that would be acceptable and vice versa.

If you are willing to give up some top for bottom, get a big-bore kit from RPM's Big-Bore. The "Ice-Cube" cylinder runs cooler as it uses a larger capacity water jacket. Since your running your '04 450F in the woods, definitely invest in a heavier flywheel. It'll put more tractability in the bike. Get one from Dubach Racing. Whatever weight you choose, you can send it back if you dont like it and want another weight instead and all you'll have to pay is shipping and handling fees.

Remember stock motors last the longest, and even the top pro offroad guys like Ty Davis and Russ Pearson leave their motors stock.

Who told you this, Russ Pearson has Zip Ty Racing (Ty Davis) port his YZ-450's head. One the motocross mags tested his bike and went through which mods occurred to the bike. I'm also sure the motors been balance and blue printed. Of course no tuner is going to tell what he specifically did or does.

I also have the 04, my list includes: FMF Ti-4 slip-on, Hot Cams Intake/Exhaust Cams, K&N Xtreme Filter, RG3 Clamps, and Race Tech Valved Suspension.

I appriciate all the advice. About the enzo suspension, is it worth the extra money to get the subtank system for $350?