HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mmxr650r

WR450F vs XR650R

9 posts in this topic

Serious question...I am thinking about selling my XR650R, and getting an '05 WR450. Anyone else that has made this transition...and thoughts on the comparisons? I am thinking about taking the step, but do like the reliability, and stability of the big 650...On the same token, I don't like all of the weight...and would welcome a more nimble ride...

Thoughts...??

I think of the XR650R as a farm bike and the WR450F as a detuned racebike.

The WR450F hasn't got any reliability issues, just got to keep on top of servicing as it

is a hi performance bike.

What ever you choose, get your ass off that harley of the desert and throw your leg

over a gravel superbike. :D

I think of the XR650R as a farm bike and the WR450F as a detuned racebike.

The WR450F hasn't got any reliability issues, just got to keep on top of servicing as it

is a hi performance bike.

What ever you choose, get your ass off that harley of the desert and throw your leg

over a gravel superbike. :D

I second that. A friend of mine did the same thing. The xr650 was a little too big and got tired of kick starting it. One day he rode mine and went out and bought one that same week!! He loves it. The performance differences between the two bikes are like night and day. You will enjoy the power and handling, for sure. :D

Earlier this year I was struggling with the same decision as you are. I finally decided to sell the trusty XR and pick a new WR450. After selling the XR I had a chance to spend a few days riding a well set up '04 WR and started to regret getting rid of the 650R. IMO the '04 WR didn't handle much better than the BRP in the tight stuff and in certain situations felt even heavier in the front than the big XR. I had a few hare scramble class wins on the XR and had almost decided on picking up another one until I got the chance to ride an '05 WR. The difference was night and day from the '04 to '05 and I picked up my new WR the next day. The only place the WR doesn't outshine the 650R is on high speed, high mileage days. The stability of the WR is good but it's just not as comfortable and lacks the top speed of the big XR on 200+ mile days. You have to do some free mods to the WR to get it to run right but they are no more extensive than the uncorking process of the Honda. As far as reliability goes, I've had less problems with the Yami than I did on the XR. The only issue I've had so far in 1800+ miles is the starter switch falling apart. IMHO bottom line is this, if you spend hours in the saddle at speeds 50 mph and up, keep the Honda. In every other situation the new WR wins without even working hard. :D:D

Excellent, stonewall...I think your response really "sealed the deal" for me. While I have enjoyed the BRP , much of the desert riding I do, is not consistent, high speed runs. While several buddies of mine do trips to Mexico often, I do not have the time to do the same. As for the speed...I agree that the BRP is quite the machine as the MPH's increase...but I believe I would prefer quickness through the tight turns, and single track success, than trying to wrestle the beast. Don't get me wrong...the BRP's are a trusty steed...and a solid performer. Consistent success in Baja is proof enough. However, I don't do many (if any) rides that would put me in that class. While we do 160+ mile loops often, I would hope that the WR will still fit that nicely.

Thanks again for the comments!!

--Mitch

Yes, Stonewall has said everything I would say. I had a XR650 for 18 months, raced in big ralis (10 days straight) and the only complain I had is the lack of electric leg. The WR450 has now only 500 miles and 1 day of race. I think I did a good trade. The Yamaha is faster from zero to the next corner, better to stop, turns and handles much better and don't have the top speed the 650 has. I still love the Big Red, but the new 450 is better in many ways - electric starter, no carb problems, much less weight, seems to ride in rails, and so on. I don't regret of what I did.

I rose and raced an XR 650 for a couple of years and loved the stability and reliability of that big ol' piggy. But after long rides or races I felt like someone beat me with a bat! I finally decided to sell the 650 and bought an '05 WR 450 and I couldn't be happier! I can can ride longer before I tire and feel my speeds are getting better as I get used to the bike. I always felt electric starters were fer girly men but the little red button is a God send! The only time you might miss the 650 is if you're doing high speed long mileage riding. But how ofter do any of us really do that? I pre-ran the Baja 500 this year on my WR and not once did I miss the old 650. Okay, mebbe on the highway runs in Valle Trinidad I wished for one more gear! :D But everywhere else down there I was glad I had the Yamaha. And out of the group of 15 riders I rode with two were on XR's while 5 of us were on WR's. The only other area where the XR outshines The WR is on servicing. That XR is simple to work on!

Yep. The development of the WR over the years counts. If I had bought a year later the 650R would have been a good option. Having ridden one back to back they don't feel any heavier then the old WR400 in the tight stuff and have tons more motor. But that was five years ago. The Honda is still the same bike and the Yamaha is not, now much lighter feeling, more power and of course the happy button. The XR is still hard to beat for cross country work but the new 450's aren't far behind there, and certainly better off in the technical stuff.

Earlier this year I was struggling with the same decision as you are. I finally decided to sell the trusty XR and pick a new WR450. After selling the XR I had a chance to spend a few days riding a well set up '04 WR and started to regret getting rid of the 650R. IMO the '04 WR didn't handle much better than the BRP in the tight stuff and in certain situations felt even heavier in the front than the big XR.