HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
anvilair

Dealer has an "03 WR450 in the crate

31 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I posted on here a few weeks ago that I was going to by a blue bomber. My decision has been made and I have started the search. I will be buying a WR 450.

My local Yamaha dealer has a 2003 WR 450 new, still in the crate.

He asked $4900.00 for it. I am trying to get him down to $3900.00.

What do you all think?

Should I go cheaper?

Or am I missing a good deal?

:D

Dude, if you can get it close to $4,500, that's a good deal.

Let us know the results....I'm jealous that the starting point is $4,900......I paid $5,700 for the 2003 WR 250F in 2003, with some "free" merchandise.

I have ridden 03 and own an 05. Look for good deal on 05 as 06's come out. The 05's are vastly improved over 03. Just my .02 :D

$4500 out the door would be a good deal. I would try to have them throw in a free GTYR exhaust insert and a YZ throttle stop. You're going to need them.

Do some research on www.thumperfaq.com . They talk about the 250Fs, but 95% applies to the 450F as well.

Also do a search on "woodruff key" and "04 upgrades" before you buy the bike. I would try to talk them into throwing in the parts you need for the "04 upgrades" as well.

Good Luck.

I got my '03 a few months ago (used) for $3500. I have since added about $1000 in upgrades, including the 04 starter upgrade, YZ exhaust and YZ throttle stop. You'll want the throttle stop and starter upgrade at a minimum so try to use them as leverage. See if they'll throw them and the GYT-R insert in and get you out the door for $4500 (is there an echo in here? :D ). THAT would be a deal. Then just do the free mods, jetting and some protection, like rad guards and a skid plate. :D

I would not even concider the 03 with all problems i have read about! Like the other guy said, the 05 is going to be pushed out under the blue light special sign at all the dealers in the next 3-6 weeks. :D

I would not even concider the 03 with all problems i have read about! QUOTE]

Besides the woodruff key issue, what other problems are you refering to? I would definitely buy an 03 as long as the 04 starter parts were changed. Especially if you can get 1 for a little over $4000.

I agree with jchantz. I never had ANY problems with my 03, but I upgraded the starter for piece of mind. Other than that, all my upgrades were performance or protection. i.e. jetting, exhaust , shock spring, skid plate , rad guards.

I wouldn't let them do the woodruff key mod, just get them to throw in the 04 starter parts. You don't want the rotor glued on the crank....

I would not even concider the 03 with all problems i have read about!

It wasn't a woodruff key issue. The flywheel didn't get torqued properly on some EARLY production bikes. Once you make sure it's torqued to spec, no more issue. But defiantly factor in the the 3 to 4 hundred for the 04 starter upgrade. Other than that the 03 it just a good as an 04 :D

It wasn't a woodruff key issue. The flywheel didn't get torqued properly on some EARLY production bikes. Once you make sure it's torqued to spec, no more issue. But defiantly factor in the the 3 to 4 hundred for the 04 starter upgrade. Other than that the 03 it just a good as an 04 :D

Actually, there were members who had the dealer re-torque the flywheel and locktite properly. They still had issues with the bike backfiring and sheering the woodruff key. It had something to do with the starter gears not being about to rotate backwards. The 04 upgrade somehow fixed this problem (i'm to lazy to do the search, but that was the jist). I would not buy an 03 that did not have the 04 upgraded parts.

Try to get them to knock it down 3 to 4 hundred for the starter upgrade, but don't let them try to sell you the parts for that much (it probably is about $350 from the dealer). I got my upgrade for about $175 and it only takes about 10 minutes to do.

BTW, the dealers like to play dumb with starter or woodruff key issues. "we haven't heard of any problems". :D The 03 starter doesn't have a clutch to allow it to spin backward in the case of a backfire while starting. This is part of what causes the woodruff key failure. The other thing has been argued; whether it is improper torque or poor taper fit between the shaft and flywheel. Either way, be educated about the issues when you negotiate with the dealer. And don't take my word for it. Do searches on "woodruff key" and "starter upgrade". Good Luck.

I paid $198 inc. tax for everything inc. the side case. I needed the sidecase because the idler axle boss broke on mine. A new bike(unfired) shouldn't need the sidecase, just the bushing for the axle...

So I went to the dealer last night..... He agreed on 4000.00 for the '03...

But he says he has 4 '05's sitting in the back and he would come in just under $6000.00 for one of those.

Based on what I have read here, the '03 is not worth saving $2000.00.

'05 sounds like the way to go!

I will keep you posted, and thanks for the help and great suggestions! :D

My opinion would be that there ain't no freakin way you're getting $2000 worth of upgrades between the 2. However, the way I look at it, there's no way you can go wrong. :D

My opinion would be that there ain't no freakin way you're getting $2000 worth of upgrades between the 2. However, the way I look at it, there's no way you can go wrong. :eek:

I have not made up my mind yet.... :D

I would like the best bike possible, but I am a casual rider and my mind is tougher than my body! :eek:

So the saving the $2000.00 might be worth it.... :D

But will my ego allow it..... :D

I will post pics and the results when I have the bike in the back of my truck! :eek::D:D