Smoky old Honda

I have an '83 Honda XL600R that I use for commuting, running errands and some fire-roading. When it's cold and first started, it produces great billowing clouds of blue smoke, especially when the oil tank is full to the top. I could swear that I read in one of the magazines some years ago that these bikes have a check valve in the oil system somewhere which can leak or go bad and cause this problem. My Clymer shop manual doesn't show it. I will be doing the top-end on the bike this winter and would like to fix this. Does anyone know about this valve, and where it might be?

Sounds like a bad valve stem seal.

sounds like u need a new one..................the thing is 22 years old.....ill be happy if mine just smokes a little when i start her in 15 more years.

For once I'm going with wr450 on this one. Yeah it's an xr but christ man it's OLD. Your talking serious valve seal leakage(cold start blues) and probably some serious blow-by.

There is no so-called "valve" that is causing that. . The problem most likely is leaky valve stem oil seals. Since you say "when it's cold and first started", that pretty much says bad oil seals at the valve stems.

Good luck with your old XL, I have a friend who has an '86 model with around 8000 miles on it and it's been an unbelievably reliable bike, in 19 years he's never had any trouble with it.

L.L.

The valve you are talking about is on newer bikes with the frame as the oil tank. There is a check valve that keeps the oil from filling the crankcase too full. I think it started with the XR600R. It will not cause smoking unless it fills the crankcase full of oil causing it to push oil past the rings. However that would stop after the oil levels equaled out. Yours is not the case. Rebuild the engine.

2 Cents worth.

RH

Don't listen to the people who say your bike is too old. Mine is old too and runs like a champ.

Time to get into that top-end

mine are older...and NONE of the old girls smoke.

1972 XL250 (2)

1974 and 1975 XL350

1975 XL125

1975 XL175

2005 XR650L

Don't listen to the people who say your bike is too old. Mine is old too and runs like a champ.

Time to get into that top-end

Hey I'm not dissing this guys machine by any means. I was raised on early 80's xr and have a passion for them. Hence the two in my shed, fully restored. But for an early 80's engine to be untouched and someone have a question as to why it's smoking.....c'mon now.

weren't there only XL/XR 500's back in 83 :D

Hey I'm not dissing this guys machine by any means. I was raised on early 80's xr and have a passion for them. Hence the two in my shed, fully restored. But for an early 80's engine to be untouched and someone have a question as to why it's smoking.....c'mon now.

Wasn't trying to bust anybody's chops, just trying to point the noob in the right direction. But then again, if he's thinking the problem lies in a check-valve, maybe a new bike is the the way to go. So maybe you're right :D

In '83 there was the XR500R (dirt) and XL600 (street legal), same basic RFVC motor design.

The check valve is in the oil pump. It's what keeps the oil in the frame (which is higher) from all running down into the cases when you kill the motor.

If you have a Clymer, it's on page 150 and 151. What you want to replace (maybe) is the oil stopper piece on the end, not the Alum valve itself.

Years ago, on my XR500R I replaced that at same time as the top end because it was tired. Piston, rings, Valve seals. Didn't help, on mine it must be valve guides. After wards it still smoked on startup (still does when I start it, got an XR650R now) but wouldn't need to add oil even on 1000 mile trips to Baja. My advice- If you don't have to add oil because it's low then just ride it and don't worry.

Thanks for all the replies! Yeah, it's old, but it has been gone through a few times (I bought it when it was only a year old). Its got an XR600 rear shock, a nice big rear luggage rack, and some general jetting and fiddling. I have an XR250 for real trailriding (one doesn't need a whole lot of power for Nor-Cal woods riding) and a street bike, but my good old 600 is very handy and fun to ride, even though it's old enough to vote! Thanks again!

Try running chevron Delo 15w-40 oil. I read a post that recommended it, I put it in my 86 xl600r and it pretty much all but quit smoking instantly. Good luck!

Try running chevron Delo 15w-40 oil. I read a post that recommended it, I put it in my 86 xl600r and it pretty much all but quit smoking instantly. Good luck!

Did ya notice the date on the post you replied to:moon:

:ride:

Brian

Did ya notice the date on the post you replied to:moon:

I would guess not....

I would guess not....

Hey,,you trying to out do me...:D

:lol::ride:

There,i feel better..

:D

Brian

Greetings

Well I must say that this is a great site and I am greatful for helpful people. Even if it is a little late. But hey is there any truth to the Delo oil solution?

I guess I should be more patient when I ask questions here... sorry HT for pestering you for instant answers! :ride:

Henceforth, an answer within five years shall be considered timely :ride::lol:

I guess I should be more patient when I ask questions here... sorry HT for pestering you for instant answers! :ride:

Henceforth, an answer within five years shall be considered timely :lol::lol:

Edited by HeadTrauma