HEADS UP!!!

Site upgrade in progress... Core site functions are working, but some non-critical features/functions will be temporarily unavailable while we work to restore them over the next couple of weeks.

Please post any bugs you encounter, but before you do, check to see if it's already listed.

Thanks for your patience while we work to improve the community.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
drex

"L" -- White IMS 4.0 Tank

8 posts in this topic

Hey, guys, my dad ordered an IMS 4.0 tank for his 650L -- when he opened the box he groaned when he saw the tank was white. :D

Guess he didn't know the difference between white and natural, and he wants to be able to view the gas level through the side of tank.

Give me your opinion on the transparency of the white tank -- will he be able to see the gas level???

Dan :D

No. you cannot see the fuel level in the white tank. Another thing is the gas will turn the tank tan over time. My tank is around 8 years old and has been tan for years now. Still will not take it off the bike until it leaks. I have never had a problem with the operation of the tank.

RH

on the discolloration note, I've had my natural IMS on the bike for two months now, and it is already tan.

I can still see the fuel level, so no plans on changing it out until it leaks.

Give me your opinion on the transparency of the white tank -- will he be able to see the gas level???

Dan :D

Sure, just open the gas cap and look inside! :D

Seriously, the white is too solid to see through. I know. I've got a white Clarke 4.0. If the fuel turns the natural colored tank brown (which it does), so does dirt on your riding pants on white. Both sides of the tank will soon have brown dirt stains where the knees rub and grip the tank, unless you have full graphics covering the sides.

Good thing the petcock has a "reserve" setting. I suggest using that only in an emergency so at least you'll have some fuel (on both sides) in the tank in case you happen to run out. :eek: Then all that's left is trying to figure out how to transfer that fuel over to the petcock side. :D

Then all that's left is trying to figure out how to transfer that fuel over to the petcock side. :D

take lots of right hand turns and lean the bike waaaaay over.

Hey, I have run the left side out of fuel. I just laid the bike on it's side and then picked it back up. I had 2 people stop it see if I had wrecked. I try not to do it on a regular basis.

RH